Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Finally! An Omega 3 that doesn't smell or taste of fish....

(5 Posts)
thebeansmum Thu 26-May-11 17:27:55

Ok, so found one thanks to another MN member, ordered and arrived within 2 days. However, they are like horse tranqulizers, sizewise! Huge pellets, which bless 'em, my kids did have a go at swallowing but it just wasn't happening. Can anyone advise if piercing them and allowing the contents to drip onto food will be OK, or to get benefit will the whole thing have to be swallowed?

I would be amazed if anyone could get a child to swallow them and there wasn't a liquid version. Please don't flame me on the subject of varied diet (which they have) it's just they're not overly keen on oily fish or the other foods that are rich in Omega 3. TIA.

sneezecakesmum Thu 26-May-11 21:35:11

My DGS loves his IQ capsules. they are meant to be cut and squirted into the mouth. Weird little man he loves the taste! You could try that as its the way they are meant to be given. Ask the pharmacist he may be able to advise but I cant see why putting it in food can inactivate it?

thebeansmum Fri 27-May-11 16:56:36

Thanks for answering sneezecake. I'm sure they will be OK, no alternative really, so they're either given like that or sit in my cupboard along with the other hundreds of types of fishy ones we've bought and they won't go near!!

JoolyW Fri 27-May-11 19:04:37

I give my son Tutti-Fruitti flavoured eskimo oil which has omega3. omega 6 & omega 9 with vitamins D & E. He has been on it for 7 years now and even makes his own juice and adds it himself. My son is the fussiest ever and reluctant to 'try' anything!!! It doesn't taste of fish at all. It is available from health shops and a company that imports it (which is local to me) called Nutri. Hope this helps!

moosemama Sun 29-May-11 21:16:37

Lol, they are rather large aren't they! grin

Yes they can be pierced and squirted onto food. In fact they advise you to do that for young children on the website. They mix well in yoghurts, but I have been known to squeeze them onto their cereals in the morning, or even into their sandwiches at lunch time without them noticing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: