Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

my dd is screaming when trying to wee, what do I do?

(8 Posts)
kahlua4me Wed 25-May-11 21:25:44

Hello
Please help. My dd (4) has been fine all day and has had a wee since having tea.
She has just sat on the loo to have a final wee before sleep and screamed the house down saying "it hurts, it hurts".
Is now in the bath as I thought that may help.

Can someone please advise me

thisisyesterday Wed 25-May-11 21:26:10

i would call the out of hours doctor and see if you can get her some anti-biotics prescribed

DeWe Wed 25-May-11 21:33:28

Go to out of hours/A & E now.
Dd2 had exactly the same when she was 2, and we called out of hours and were told to go in. Idiot dh accidently took her to A&E which is next door, which was fine, just took 3x as long. Got antibiotics from them.
Get some cranberry juice to help as well. If dd2 says her wee hurts we give her a glass and it usually wards it off. If she gets to screaming though she needs antibiotics and they may want to scan her kidneys after recovery to check there's no blockage.

kahlua4me Wed 25-May-11 21:41:13

Many thanks for your help.
Have rung out of hours, just waiting for them to ring back.

I was so surprised at how quickly this came on. One moment she was fine than screamed so much I thought she had fallen off the toilet, or trapped her fingers. She had a wee about 7 and was fine then.

poorbuthappy Wed 25-May-11 21:44:12

Also robinson barley water helps to address the balance...keep a bottle in the house.

DeWe Wed 25-May-11 21:47:52

Dd2 was the same. She went for a wee before bed. Woke up about an hour later saying her tummy hurt, took her to the toilet and she screamed the place down. She's a drama queen but that amount of noise is unusual even for her.
It obviously was very painful though as she'll still ask for cranberry juice now (nearly 3 years later) although she doesn't like it, if she has any slight pain while weeing.
If they don't ring back quickly and she's awake and in pain then take her to A&E.
If you can get a urine sample (small jar, sterilize it by heating in oven for a few minutes) you may speed up the process if they want to see her.

kahlua4me Wed 25-May-11 23:17:07

Back from out of hours now.
Dd refused to provide a sample for them so Doctor felt her tummy and then looked at her vagina.
It was so red and sore, looked incredibly painful. He thinks it may be thrush so has prescribed neurofen, calpol and canestan, although he said to use normal cream overnight. I have to take a urine sample into gp tomorrow to get it checked as a precautionary, they can then check and prescribe antibiotics if needed.

I smothered her in cream once home and she has now had a wee. She did scream initally as expected it to hurt but soon stopped and is now sleeping.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

tb Wed 08-Jun-11 07:38:37

My mil gave me a super remedy for cy - really dilute squash/juice with (for an adult) a half teaspoon of bicarb. It helps neutralise the acid in the urine that can develop with an infection (which is what encourages the bugs to grow). It works brilliantly - especially as you need to keep drinking to stop the urine getting too concentrated.

I haven't had cystitis in over 30 years since she gave me that tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now