Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why is DD red down below and hysterical at every nappy change?

(17 Posts)
Masalamama Tue 17-May-11 14:52:48

Hi there, my two year old DD has been getting a lot of redness around her vulva and bottom. We have a new nanny and I thought it was because she was abyssmal at cleaning bottoms. But now, she okay and I've told her to just rinse DD in the tub. We've tried sudacrem, metanium and now onto talcum powder so we won't pull the delicate area. But she squeezes her legs together and cries hysterically, screaming "nappy" over and over again when I clean her. What might she have? Thrush? I am making a docs appt but I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thanks a ton.

hairypotter Tue 17-May-11 14:59:30

Could be thrush, dd1 had it years ago and symptoms sound similar. Hope you get it sorted soon

WhatsWrongWithYou Tue 17-May-11 15:02:59

First off, never use talc on a girl's nether regions. Second, are you using wipes? She could be reacting to the chemicals - best to rinse them first so they're not so strong.

Also, the creams you've been using are quite strong and she could be reacting to that. Vaseline provides an excellent waterproof barrier but won't irritate her skin, so it can heal.

It might turn out to be thrush, and your gp may not mention any of the above, but avoidance of strong substances on the skin is the best policy whatever this turns out to be.

No need for soap at bath times, either.

newbroom Tue 17-May-11 15:05:06

I would say thrush, if you've definitely ruled out poor nappy changing technique. Alternatively, could it be teething nappies/upset stomach making her bottom sore?

PurveyorOfBaloney Tue 17-May-11 15:07:16

I would suspect thrush, so just as well you are getting it checked out.

Also the only cream my son responded to was Bepanthen, all the others did not help his soreness, so may be worth a go?

TheVisitor Tue 17-May-11 15:11:12

Can you leave her bare bottomed as much as possible? Get shut of the talc - it's an irritant and use warm water and cotton wool to clean her, nothing else. Keep the area dry as possible, even use a hairdryer on a cool setting to dry her (she may find this rather hilarious). See how she is after a day of this and still make the doctor's appointment.

ZZZenAgain Tue 17-May-11 15:12:08

I agree with thevisitor - leave her uncovered as much as possible

NosyRosie Tue 17-May-11 15:13:30

In agreement with above posts. Sudocrem is the worst thing for thrush. Lots of air would be my recommendation.

wasabipeanut Tue 17-May-11 15:17:33

Ouch. DD (15 mo) has recently suffered bouts of redness (and I agree with advice given re avoiding wipes etc. ) but was clearly related to the amount she was pooing - a lot. It sounds odd but I have found that diet has a big effect on her. I tried taking various things out for a few days and the only thing that made a real difference has been the removal of fruit yogurts - little stars, petit filous etc. I replaced them with greek yog with a sprinkle of soft brown sugar on top so she is quite happy and it has made a drastic difference to bottom habits.

It might all be in imagination but I am convinced they all sneak these bloody bacteria in that "improve digestive transit." Hmmmmm.

allag Tue 17-May-11 15:54:51

definitely agree re amount of pooing - my DD (18 months) has just had several days of diarrhoea (??sp) and even though i was constantly changing her, developed a hideous nappy rash. it was so bad she literally couldn't sit - and i couldn't carry her either as it was too sore. i had her mostly without nappies for a couple of days and sudocrem (which i must has always worked for us) when i did put a nappy on and it cleared up very quickly. so i agree - do review the diet to see if something is irritating her tummy and also lots of air and no wipes!!!

Masalamama Thu 19-May-11 12:40:54

Oh this is all brilliant advice! Thanks so much everyone. She does in fact poo 4 times a day so something must be irritating her but she's tested negative for loads of allergens (although dairy intolerant as a baby). The docs appointment is booked too. She seems to be a bit better.

vintageteacups Thu 19-May-11 12:49:50

could actually be something as simple as grapes or natural orange juice if eaten/drunk in greater quantities than usual.

DD (9) and DS (6) both get sore bottoms after too much fruit.

Masalamama Sat 21-May-11 22:06:23

Ah that may explain it. She eats fruit all day! And it is thrush, the doc looked at me like I was mad when I asked her about talcum powder's link to cancer/bladder infections. When I grew up in India, we all had talcum powder applied liberally. She also spent half a day out of a nappy today and happily went to the toilet!! Thanks a ton again

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 21-May-11 22:08:58

Glad it's sorted. Don't think anyone mentioned links to cancer and bladder infections though.

alibubbles Sun 22-May-11 13:30:09

Is she in Pampers Active? These are causing a lot of problems in babies and toddlers since they changed the gel. There is a facebook page about it and lots of threads on various forums.

Try Naturebaby nappies, more expensive, but try for as while, and you will find that it will calm down.

Masalamama Wed 25-May-11 10:56:38

Oh sorry WhatsWrongWithYou, I picked that up in other threads but think any others coming to this one might find it interesting.

alibubbles, she is in pampers pull ups. I must check the chatter out. Anyway, I have managed to potty train her in 3 days as I felt it was about time to ditch nappies althogether. She is happily going into the loo when she needs to, locking the door (we can unlock it from outside too), flushing and coming out! We do need to march her back to wash her hands and wipe her though... blush

tb Wed 08-Jun-11 07:32:42

Glad you got it sorted. Dd used to have the same sort of problem - very red and sore round skin but not as far as vulva. We were prescribed conotrane cream, very good for other soreness, too. (I have sensitive skin, and after trying a new bubble bath for sensitive skins developed incredibly itchy nipples - wanted to scratch them off and it worked brilliantly) Sorry if tmi blush

A local chemist used to sell their own nappy rash cream - called Helgason's Nappy Rash cream. They got it from an old recipe book at Macclesfield District General. An (elderly) friend told me it consists of Friar's Balsaam stirred into lanolin. It's a sort of putty colour. The Friar's balsaam forms a 'skin' to protect the soreness, and the vaseline moisturises. Don't know if it's sold by post - Helgason's Chemists are based in Knutsford and Altrincham. All my ante-natal group swore by it, having tried everything else like sudocrem etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now