Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD aged 9 has a painful ankle. She hasn't had an accident. Anyone else's DC have ankle or shin pain?

(9 Posts)
Snowbell Sat 26-Mar-11 20:46:02

DD is complaining of ankle pain in one ankle particularly. It starts at the back and moves round to the outside. This happens when she walks, runs, hops. When she was 6/7 she had this and was referred to a podiatrist who said that her ankles rolled inwards slightly when she walked and referred her for physio. I though she might be given special insoles for her shoes, but no, apparently not necessary. The physio helped. Anyway now she is getting ankle pain again and we have asked for her to be referred again. Just wonder if there is anything else we could be doing, or if anyone has experience of this. Today we had to call my DP to come and pick us up as she couldn't walk home from the town, it was too painful.

Skifit Sun 27-Mar-11 10:48:22

Poor little girl. The best you have done. Get referred.

cory Sun 27-Mar-11 19:28:01

Quite likely to be because of her rolling ankle- dd has that and it got so bad she couldn't walk at all in the end. Is she still doing her physio exercises? If she is and they are not helping, I'd ask for her to be referred again.

ShortArseFuck Sun 27-Mar-11 19:37:26

In the meantime you can buy podiatry type insoles from Boots.

We got some for DD1 before she went to the clinic and they helped in a day or so

Warning - they're expensive about £15 iirc

Snowbell Sun 27-Mar-11 23:03:10

Glad to hear the things in Boots helped, SAF. I will have a look there. When she first had this problem Boots didn't have anything small enough. But now the small womens size might fit. We are going to buy her some good trainers with pronation support. Can't wait for the NHS!

ShortArseFuck Sun 27-Mar-11 23:04:37

Snowbell - don't know where you are in the UK but I got DD seen sooner

Probably shouldn't admit this but I know which university near me does podiatry courses and I know they run clinics where the students see people and then what they recommend is checked by the lecturers/professors.

I phoned the local uni and DD1 was seen in less than 2 weeks.

Snowbell Mon 28-Mar-11 09:46:25

SAF, thanks very much for that tip. I wouldn't have thought of that. We are in Surrey so I could try Surrey University and also London ones. Can they actually give her orthotics for her shoes or would they just recommend and then we would have to pay for them privately?

ShortArseFuck Mon 28-Mar-11 10:28:13

They were able to mke them and they didn't charge. The students have to make them for the course. I bought them chocs!!

xxNicola1xx Wed 22-Jun-11 16:44:04

Hi all,

SAF how do you get in touch with the student/lecturers or whoever? It seems like a long shot just to walk into a hospital and ask on the off chance!

Ankle pain is horrible! This article is useful & the cold therapy booties helped me quite a bit (at the bottom of the page)

http://www.foothealthcare.com/shop/ankle_pain-strains_or_sprains

Hope she feels better soon snowbell x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now