Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD is in tears over her back pain.

(20 Posts)
FourFortyFour Sun 20-Mar-11 19:02:42

She is 7. Has complained for a few hours on and off. Tried deep heat but had to wash it off as she said it stung. Have given her Calpol. I am a worrier. DH thinks it might be a muscle she has pulled as she said it has hurt since she got her bike out yesterday.

FattyArbuckel Sun 20-Mar-11 19:04:17

where on her back?

FourFortyFour Sun 20-Mar-11 19:05:51

Her right side and the start of her back from her side.

FattyArbuckel Sun 20-Mar-11 19:06:57

Any other symptoms and what type of pain and how bad

thisisyesterday Sun 20-Mar-11 19:08:37

if she is in tears over it i would call OOH doctor tbh, or NHS direct.

it could be a pulled muscle, but it could equally be something like kidney infection? or something like hat... better to speak to someone if you're unsure.

ibuprofen may help if you have any?

WorzselMummage Sun 20-Mar-11 19:08:51

If she's crying in pain I'd probably take her to a&e tbh

Does it hurt more when she moves ?

Is she weeing ok ?

belledechocchipcookie Sun 20-Mar-11 19:09:11

It could be her appendix or a uti/kidney infection. I'd get her seen by the out of hours if the pain's bad enough to make her cry. Appendix pain often moves, it starts at the back first.

FourFortyFour Sun 20-Mar-11 19:10:04

She is reading now, not crying.

Doesn't seem to have any toileting problems.

If she complains again I will take her to a doctor.

FourFortyFour Sun 20-Mar-11 19:11:13

She has been playing fine and has done some ballet today without any problems.

FourFortyFour Sun 20-Mar-11 20:01:14

Right, more tears so have phoned OOH Doctors. Next appointment is at 2am. Opted for an advice call but no idea when that will be as they are very busy.

FourFortyFour Mon 21-Mar-11 08:29:05

Have spoken to a pharmacist and I am taking her to the doctors this morning. Thanks for all your advice.

FourFortyFour Mon 21-Mar-11 12:09:57

Saw doctor, sent us to hospital for a chest x-ray [worried].

belledechocchipcookie Mon 21-Mar-11 12:36:54

Try not to panic. I hope all is OK.

FourFortyFour Mon 21-Mar-11 12:38:26

I think I went white when he said to take her to hospital straight away.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 21-Mar-11 12:54:13

Chest x-ray does seem a little odd considering where the pain is. Did he say what he thought it was?

WorzselMummage Mon 21-Mar-11 16:03:07

Hope everything's ok

FourFortyFour Mon 21-Mar-11 16:24:29

I asked him what he thought it was but DD was there and he said it was to rule out things. He didn't think it was muscular pain or a urinary tract infection.

FourFortyFour Mon 21-Mar-11 16:24:54

I think he said he wanted her lungs checked.

GreenPartridge Tue 18-Oct-11 11:44:14

Back pain in children is quite common but usually clears up quickly. If it doesn't clear up and the chest xray is normal there are some more tips for prevention here Back Pain in Children. Hope it helps.

25goingon95 Tue 18-Oct-11 13:40:17

How is she fourfortyfour??

Sounds very worrying but chest xray does seem a bit odd as the pain is lower down in her back...let us know how you got on at the hospital, hope DD is feeling a bit better and it turns out to be muscular or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now