Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Inturned feet / pigeon toed - what can we do?

(8 Posts)
TeamLemon Fri 18-Feb-11 21:43:54

I noticed DS2 (2.7 yrs) walks with both feet inturned, but the right turns slightly more than the left. At first I put it down to toddler wobbles, but it is definitely noticable now.
He also trips himself over when running.

I took him to the Clinic this week and HV has referred us to the Physio dept at the hospital. She did warn that there is a waiting list of at least 3 months.

So, I have two questions.
What might the Physio do about inturned feet?
Is there anything I can do whilst waiting for an appointment?

TeamLemon Fri 18-Feb-11 21:54:18

Bump

TeamLemon Fri 18-Feb-11 22:48:36

Bumpity bump

TeamLemon Fri 18-Feb-11 23:05:11

Dammit.

I knew I should have put bumsex in the thread title grin

sneezecakesmum Fri 18-Feb-11 23:42:35

No bumsex please blush
They would examine his feet to see if the deformity had some physical cause, such as over tight tendons or bony abnormality. Xray is a possibility, but I doubt it as would need orthopaedic doc to order this. If they were happy that it was just a poor walking habit they would look at piedro boots (see the website). Cost around £90 but you get them free on the NHS! If there was a more serious deformity they would look at orthotic devices and stretching exercises plus probable physio exercises that you would be taught to do at home.
Now stop bumping and talking dirty grin

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 19-Feb-11 00:21:34

Ds2's left foot used to turn quite noticably inwards at about 2.5 yrs old. GP said he wouldn't do anything until ds was over 3 but to keep an eye on him and keep monitoring.

My friend suggested getting him to walk along lines, not all the time but just whenever it was practical, eg walking along kerbstones on a quiet road, walking along chalk lines drawn round the back garden. Getting him to place his feet rather than just flopping them down wherever.

I never did have to go back to the GP as he corrected himself naturally. I'm not saying this would work in your case but it might be worth giving it a go in the short term?

TeamLemon Sat 19-Feb-11 13:46:09

Thanks for the advice.
I'll have a look at the piedro website and try to get him to walk in a straight line. At the moment he just wants to run in the opposite direction to me!

Lisadawn27 Sun 15-Feb-15 10:20:14

Hi was just wondering if anybody could shed some light for me.....my LB is 8yrs old and suffers with a lot of problems so here goes he has hyper mobility which is really painful for him at times to the point where he cannot bare any weight on his legs due to his painful knees...he has unturned feet/pigeon toe as it's also known as which cause a lot of trips and falls...he has very limited sight in 1 of his eyes......he has lost weight and his BMI has also dropped below average for a child of his age.....he has a lot of emotional issues I.e one minute he's fine and the next he's in floods of tears with no explanation why... He has become aggressive at school and started to get physical (he has never done this before) he has a very little concentration span....and last but not least he is having trouble sleeping at night??? Could all of these things be related to just 1 big problem rather than lots of little problems?? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks so much smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: