Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

'The Watchers and Waiters Club': Parents of Children with Asthma Support Thread.

(534 Posts)
PixieOnaLeaf Wed 09-Feb-11 21:11:42

Message withdrawn

Rhadegunde Wed 09-Feb-11 21:13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rhadegunde Wed 09-Feb-11 21:14:05

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 09-Feb-11 21:20:19

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandMrObama Wed 09-Feb-11 21:24:26

When is DD's GOSH appointment pixie.

Sorry if it was on other thread.

Rhadegunde Wed 09-Feb-11 21:26:18

cedmonds Wed 09-Feb-11 21:36:03

Well done on the title it is very appropriate. How many weeks pg are you know cant be much longer with the morning sickness can it ?Good Luck tomorrow Pixie i will be thinking of you, let us know how it goes.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 09-Feb-11 21:49:04

Message withdrawn

Pleiades45 Wed 09-Feb-11 21:58:24

Rhadegunde, I think you've hit on what has me so confused. The brown inhaler as means to preventing antibiotics..

The singulair seems to be working for DS. I just panic when he gets a cold because it's obviously not enough.

I just hope he's going to grow out of it, I've no idea what his trigger is and whilst the singulair is controlling it, no one is interested in finding out. My only real sign that things are bad is when he refuses to walk anywhere, and doesn't seem to be jumping around as much as the others. Until I notice that, everything seems fine but by then he's generally rattling away at full force.

PixieOnaLeaf, congratulations!

Sirzy Wed 09-Feb-11 22:02:57

Yet again at the first signs of a cold DS is coughing and wheezing away. I have upped his ventolin again (only just got down to morning and night in the past few days) so hopefully that will keep it under control.

Rhadegunde Wed 09-Feb-11 22:05:25

suiledonne Wed 09-Feb-11 22:14:05

Ah the watch and wait - I know it well. I used to feel like I was the only one so it's great to have this thread.

After her asthma flare up last week my dd1 is doing well. We managed to get through on the Pred and antibiotic with no need to go to A&E. That's 2 attacks in a row that we avoided hospital admission so it must be a good sign?

Pleiades My dd is on Singulair and a brown inhaler and we saw a huge improvement once she started on the Singulair. She seems to be mainly triggered by having a cold although she also has hayfever. From dealing with the paed we see it seems that if the asthma is controlled by meds then they don't really look at finding the trigger. We found out about the grass pollen allergy when dd has tests due to an allergic reaction to egg as a baby.

Pixie Best of luck at GOSH tomorrow.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 09-Feb-11 22:19:10

Message withdrawn

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 09-Feb-11 22:20:08

Message withdrawn

Galena Thu 10-Feb-11 09:02:50

Well done suile at fending off an admission!

Pixie Hope it all goes well today.

DD is coughing again. Think it's another cold. We're upping her brown inhaler and also going to give some blue to see if that helps. BAH! The problem I have is that the social aspect of toddler groups is obviously very important for her. However, the germs are just grim! Sometimes I consider not going to the groups, but then she and I would both end up going stir crazy! Her consultant even agreed that the social benefits probably outweighed the illnesses.

suiledonne Thu 10-Feb-11 09:56:16

Galena It's tough isn't it? I remember thinking the same about dd when she was younger but then the consultant said she still has to live in the real world like everyone else. I thought he was being harsh at the time.

I think I was too cautious with dd and kept her at home a lot and she is now quite a nervous, anxious child. She really struggled with pre-school as she had never spent any time away from me at all.

alibobins Thu 10-Feb-11 10:08:01

pixie hope you get on okay at GOSH its sounds like dd is doing well

Both ds's are really struggling at the moment I think the fact we are decorating the stairs isn't helping We have another appointment at hospital at the end of the month.
Ds1 is becoming more aware of feeling unwell and has been really good at asking for his inhalers.

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 10-Feb-11 11:01:42

Message withdrawn

Sirzy Thu 10-Feb-11 11:32:34

galana I have had the same thoughts about toddler groups. We stopped tumble tots as he was missing more than he went to but I need to find one for him somewhere!

Galena Thu 10-Feb-11 11:34:28

I go for the ones you don't have to pay through the nose for - so mainly the church-hall ones. She does love them and her immune system HAS to be building up!

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 10-Feb-11 11:40:36

Message withdrawn

alibobins Thu 10-Feb-11 13:54:15

I take Ds2 to a toddler group and he does enjoy going but seems to catch everything going today I'm off work with him as he's got the sickness bug going round

Just a quick question about development Ds2 is now 14 months and still in size 6-9 month clothes sometimes 9-12 he just doesn't seem to be growing well I'm just worried that being ill all the time is affecting him He has started taking a few steps now and again but he's not too fussed.

Sirzy Thu 10-Feb-11 13:56:53

Ds is 15 months and only in the last month moved to 9-12 clothes (although he is in 6-9 today) which are all to big and fall down. He is only just starting to try to walk but has been cruising since 8 months.

fluffycauliflower Thu 10-Feb-11 15:05:33

Thanks Pixie and Rhadegunde for your replies. She doesn't wheeze, I don't know what a spirometry test is. The doctor diagnosed it as it sounded like asthma I guess. She had to blow into a thing - I think she did well in that. May be her problem is that she didn't take enough from the blue inhaler, I think may be she didn't hold her breath for long enough to keep it in? And she may have only had one puff. I really want for her to be able to do her sports without this trouble. We will go back to the GP, but actually think that other mums can give better advice sometimes! Is there any other preventative or alternative medicine stuff that people have tried?

PixieOnaLeaf Thu 10-Feb-11 15:10:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now