Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9mth old - loose stools for 8 days - any advice?

(4 Posts)
mummeeee Sun 16-Jan-11 17:59:59

Hi

My ds (9mths) has had loose stools/diarrhoea for 8 days now, but no other symptoms. As I am sure you can imagine, it's no fun for either of us. I am going through every possible cause, but haven't come up with anything.

So, he's poo-ing about 8-10 times/day & about 4-5 times/night. His bottom is obviously sore, so I am getting up and changing him in the night as soon as he wakes. In the day I am leaving him nappy-free as much as possible. The sore-ness is improving, but the diarrheoa continues.

Sometimes the poo is brown (like normal poo, but just runnier) and sometimes it is just clear, yellow mucous. Each bowel movement is only a small amount (less than a tablespoonful).

He is eating and drinking normally (and I am still bf'ing him, so he is feeding more than normal and at each wake up at night), has not had a temperature, does not seem to be getting dehydrated and has not vomited at all. It started on Saturday and he had lots of redness in his cheeks (on and off) for 2-3 days, so I put it down to teething.

When it didn't clear up I took him to the GP (on Thurs). I gave them a stool sample. The GP sent it off and said we should have results by Monday or Tuesday, but that he expected it to have cleared up by then. He said we were doing all the right things and wasn't too concerned.

I've spent all weekend indoors with him, so I can keep him nappy-free and because he is only taking short naps (once he poos he wakes up because it hurts his sore bottom) so I am just trying to keep him as content as possible.

He's been on solids since he was 5 mths and I've not changed anything recently. Similarly, I've been bf'ing for 9mths now, so have pretty much eaten everything and not had a reaction before, so don't think it is some sort of intolerance to either what he is eating, or what I am eating.

Could it be a virus? Bacteria? But why no other symptoms. It has gone on so long I am running out of ideas....and getting quite frazzled with a poorly baby and no sleep.

Sorry such a long post and hope someone can reassure/point me in the right direction.

Thanks

winnybella Sun 16-Jan-11 18:02:47

Too much juice?
Fwiw DD had a few episodes of unexplained diarrhoea and they have always cleared up on their own.

piprabbit Sun 16-Jan-11 18:06:13

Took much fruit and veg?

Have a look at this - it might help if as your DS is showing no other signs of illness.

mummeeee Sun 16-Jan-11 20:03:45

Thanks.

He's not having any juice and I've cut out the fruit in his breakfast that we were giving.I have a small glass of juice, but have been drinking that for quite a while.

Thanks for the link - really helpful. I hope it doesn't last, but at least I know it's possible that it's nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: