Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Brown cradle cap?? Or something else?

(8 Posts)
MintAeroBar Fri 14-Jan-11 21:36:19

My DD has what I think is cradle cap, but with the other DCs it was always white. Hers is brown? And it doesnt flake, it seems more, um, mushy??

Any ideas what this might be??

SlightlyTubbyHali Fri 14-Jan-11 21:37:12

Sounds like cradle cap to me. DD2 has a sort of mottled scalp from it.

strawberrycake Fri 14-Jan-11 21:38:28

DS' was a bit like that

whomovedmychocolate Fri 14-Jan-11 21:38:30

Yep that's cradle cap. Comes in white, grey, yellow and brown. You can rub baby oil on it and it'll come off or just wait a few months.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 14-Jan-11 21:39:31

dd1's cradle cap is like this - sort of waxy in texture, and light brown. good job she's got thick hair grin.

MintAeroBar Fri 14-Jan-11 21:40:43

Ah ok. I wasnt sure! I was worried it was infected or something!! blush

Will it come off with baby oil even if mushy?

Did the mottled scalp come about from not removing the brown, or was his white?

What age does it usually stop?

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 14-Jan-11 21:44:03

i lift dd1's every few months using olive oil and a nit comb. she still gets a touch of it now at 3.10, though nothing like as bad as she used to. I think it can persist until 5 or 6 though.......

SlightlyTubbyHali Fri 14-Jan-11 21:54:30

The mottled scalp is brown bits. And yes, it is squishy.

DD2 has had it since birth pretty much and is now 15 months. GP said to use olive oil but it made her head smell as though something was festering!

I use dentinox and also my older DD has this aqueous-ish eczema stuff called Epaderm which you can use as a soap substitute and I wash DD2's hair with a bit of that sometimes - can pick it off afterwards. I would imagine baby oil is much the same. It does seem a bit never-ending with DD2 though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now