Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Minimum amount needed for urine sample???

(12 Posts)
thelittlebluepills Thu 13-Jan-11 19:25:10

Help!

DS2 in alot of pain with a suspected urine infection - keeps grabbing his bits and shouting ow and crying lots sad

is holding onto his wee as it is clearly hurting alot when he goes

we were just in the middle of potty training when this happened so I have only managed to get 2ml of urine in his potty for the sample - will this be enough for the pathology lab tests or should I keep trying to get more??

Sirzy Thu 13-Jan-11 19:38:03

When DS had to do a urine sample I had to catch some and only got a tiny amount but they still managed to do the test so I don't think they need much

belledechocchipcookie Thu 13-Jan-11 19:39:22

They don't need a lot, this should be fine. It sounds like cystitis rather then a UTI though.

thelittlebluepills Thu 13-Jan-11 19:41:12

thanks

belle - he's got some amoxicillin - is this the right stuff for cystitis too? the GP examined DS' penis and there was no redness or swelling

the next problem will be getting the foul tasting antibiotics into him

belledechocchipcookie Thu 13-Jan-11 19:44:27

I used to use the train approach. 'Here comes the train....chooochoo!.....open wide....'

thelittlebluepills Thu 13-Jan-11 19:59:39

the train came back out of the tunnel at some considerable speed!

<cleans up floor>

belledechocchipcookie Thu 13-Jan-11 20:01:31

grin I'd opt for the 'little bits at a time' approach then. I'm guessing he's 2?

1973magpie Thu 13-Jan-11 20:40:54

I find that a syringe and a 'this is for your own good, and is going to happen' positive attitude usually works, but maybe I just have compliant children (Ha ha! - only in this instance though grin) although maybe the promise of a sweet afterwards would do the trick (ds age 2 would do almost anything for a chocolate button!) HTH Good luck! smile

1973magpie Thu 13-Jan-11 20:42:13

I find that a syringe and a 'this is for your own good, and is going to happen' positive attitude usually works, but maybe I just have compliant children (Ha ha! - only in this instance though grin) although maybe the promise of a sweet afterwards would do the trick (ds age 2 would do almost anything for a chocolate button!) HTH Good luck! smile

1973magpie Thu 13-Jan-11 20:44:56

Sorry for double post MN did that offline for 30 seconds thing and I got impatient blush

thelittlebluepills Thu 13-Jan-11 21:43:28

yes he is two <sigh>

too young to bribe and too old to pin down and squirt it down his throat

in the end we mixed it with a frube and he ate the lot

just hope the frube doesn't stop the antibiotics working!

belledechocchipcookie Thu 13-Jan-11 22:38:16

If it's a 'take on an empty stomach' it may not be as effective.

At least he's taken it though. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: