Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

to mix calpol and ibuprofen or not?

(7 Posts)
fannyadams1 Wed 12-Jan-11 18:15:32

my DD(2) has been under the weather for several daysnow. up and down with a temperature, even hallucinating at one point. she says she's cold and shivers, but has a fever.
i've been giving her calpol and calprofen, at the same time, but is this ok??
it seems to work!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 12-Jan-11 18:17:43

You need to make sure that you don't exceed the maximum daily dosage for each med but otherwise it is ok.

belledechocchipcookie Wed 12-Jan-11 18:17:50

Yes, just check there's no paracetamol mixed in with the ibuprofen. I'd split them, ibuprofen first then paracetamol in between the ibuprofen doses. Ibuproen is better at bringing down a fever then paracetamol. Plenty to drink as well. Has she seen the GP?

Mutt Wed 12-Jan-11 18:19:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Niecie Wed 12-Jan-11 18:19:54

You can do that - so long as you aren't giving her two doses of paracetamol or 2 doses of ibuprofen then she will be fine.

What I usually do when my boys are ill like this is to stagger the doses. So I give paracetamol then ibuprofen 4 hours later then paracetamol again 4 hours after that and keep alternating.

It keeps up the flow of medication and means that you don't have to wait the full 8 hours before you give something and with a fever at its worst 8 hours can seem like a very long time!

Hope she feels better soon.

fannyadams1 Wed 12-Jan-11 18:24:42

saw the gp and she has antibiotics for a wee infection, but i can't start these until i get a proper wee sample which is very difficult as she's still in nappies!
so she's still ill with the infection, and not doing many wee's for a sample!!

bubbleymummy Wed 12-Jan-11 18:32:59

NICE guidelines say not to. They recommend trying one and if it doesn't reduce the fever then try the other but stick to the one that works! They also don't recommend treating a fever unless it is causing discomfort - the fever is a good thing and is helping the body fight the illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now