Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When should I get Dd1 a bra?

(9 Posts)
Bomper Wed 12-Jan-11 13:50:37

Didn't really know where to put this, was looking for a 'puberty' section but couldn't find one!! My Dd1 is going to be 11 at the end of the month, she hasn't got proper breasts yet but is 'budding' and I think feeling a little awkward in vests. Should I get her a bra now or hold off till they are properly developed? What age did your dd's start wearing bras?

ClenchedBottom Wed 12-Jan-11 13:52:38

Hmm my dd still only little so no direct advice but have you thought about soft crop type bras? Sort of a half-way house.... I think if she's feeling awkward/self-conscious it's time to do something. Have you asked her what her thoughts are?

Sirzy Wed 12-Jan-11 13:55:57

I agree with PP about talking to her and getting the cropped top ones first as they will probably be comfier until she needs to be properly measured.

Bomper Wed 12-Jan-11 13:56:04

Haven't broached it with her as yet, it's only been over the last couple of days I have realised she has stopped parading around the house in just her knickers after a bath and getting dressed in her room. Soft crop type bras sound like a good option. smile

goplayout Wed 12-Jan-11 14:10:48

Bomper, When my DD was at this stage I got her the little soft crop tops - no wiring, padding or fasteners and they just pull over the head like a vest. Places like M&S, BHS, Next do them. She was about 10 when she started wearing crop tops

She wore these for about 18 months/ 2 years, and is now in a soft cup bra with a fastener at the back (32AA).

Girls who wore bras before they needed them got teased at school, and girls who needed a bra and didn't wear one also got teased -Nightmare!!

Bomper Wed 12-Jan-11 14:13:39

I know - the stress!!!!! Will have a chat with her and perhaps we can go shopping together and get some of those crop top things!! Thanks x

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 14:43:40

Message withdrawn

Danthe4th Wed 12-Jan-11 14:55:54

When you are ready for 'proper bras' do have a look on m&s website, my daughter didn't want all the wired fancy bras and we ordered loads from the website with out under wires,they do a huge teen/young selection that we never saw in the shops its all free delivery and free returns so we had a huge selection, had a great laugh trying them all on and ended up with some really good fitting ones. I think it also tells you how to measure up as well.
She had crop tops until she went to high school when she just about started filling an AA cup, she is now bigger than me!!

itsanewday Wed 12-Jan-11 15:28:09

I have just got my 10yo dd a crop top and she says they're really comfy. £8 for a pack of two, plain white, from M&S. Only thing is, do try them on. She is wearing 12-14, the size below is 9-11. I think they are a brilliant stepping stone for them when they are not ready for a bra, but big enough to feel self-conscious about "wobbling" a bit!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: