Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

15 year old son hardly eats any fruit or veg

(5 Posts)
fedup4 Tue 11-Jan-11 12:31:03

He will only eat carrots, sweet potato mashed with normal potato, will eat any type of veg when hidden in lasagne, shepherds pie etc but he wouldn't want to have this all the time.

He will also eat satsumas and oranges at a push but he won't drink any orange juice or apple juice etc.

He drinks plenty of organic semi skimmed milk on the plus side.

Will multi vitamin tablets do him any good. As a family we have never bought any health supplements as we have a very good varied diet 80% of the time.

nightcat Tue 11-Jan-11 13:09:12

Rather that going hit-or-miss, you could have him tested, either at drs - blood etc (ours don't give any tests unless unwell) or privately - eg hair sample - which is what I did - although for a diff reason.
I did that about 2 years after my ds went gluten free, because I was told that any deficiencies would correct themselves when on the diet. Actually, I had thought even before he was gf that his diet was 100% good hmm. Well, it was varied, but he still had wheat at almost every meal which affected absorption - and the hair test showed he was still badly deficient in things like Zn, Mg, Bs so we added specific supplements to address the deficiencies.
If his diet is limited in any way, then he will prob be deficent in something, however drs rarely go beyond checking iron. Vit D also seems to be a flavour of the day.

CharlieBoo Tue 11-Jan-11 13:36:52

To be honest it's not a great amount but it's not too bad, some won't eat anything. My brother ate no fruit n veg for years...only cucumber, my parents were at their wits end. My dd (only19 months) will only eat peas and strawberries. Sooo very fussy. My son (5 yo) will eat any fruit n veg. Both been weaned and raised the same. Try not to worry, get as much hidden stuff into him as you can, pasta sauces, fruit puddings with custard etc and get him on a good multivit.

AMumInScotland Tue 11-Jan-11 13:40:28

At least he eats some! I'd get some multi-vitamin and mineral tablets to make up for what he's missing. I take them myself too - it's not as good as eating a varied diet, but much better than having a deficiency.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 12-Jan-11 16:21:41

fedup - my dd(now 17) has a pretty restricted diet, always has done. She eats no fruit; that's no fruit, fruit juice, fruit yoghurt or fruit flavours, no dried fruit. She eats carrots, peas, cucumber and a bit of cauli. I give her an A-z vit and mineral tablet and cod liver oil. She seems to do OK but her immune system in winter is pretty poor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now