Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9 year old with very sweet smelling breath

(12 Posts)
sandyballs Mon 10-Jan-11 15:03:38

She's tired and tearful a lot of the time lately and over the last couple of days I have noticed a strong sweet smell to her breath, but yesterday it smelt like she had been drinking tea. Any ideas what this could be? Not a lot of energy either, sat out of football on Friday which is something she loves, hasn't been interested in being active etc

ThisIsANiceCage Mon 10-Jan-11 15:07:27

Diabetes springs to mind. But I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will be along shortly.

sandyballs Mon 10-Jan-11 15:09:03

I wondered about that but one of the symptoms is weight loss and she has put on half a stone recently.

2posh2post Mon 10-Jan-11 15:09:04

Might be worth getting her checked for diabetes. Does she wee a lot and drink a lot? (By the way, I am no expert, I just seem to remember that breath smelling of acetone or sweetness can indicate diabetes and that would fit in with the tiredness). Basically, if you have a health worry then you should phone NHS direct or talk to your GP. That's the only sensible thing to do.

Just googled:

Symptoms of diabetes include:

excessive thirst
excessive urination
thrush
extreme hunger
unusual weight loss
extreme fatigue
irritability
nausea
vomiting
sweet smelling breath

You are worried enough to post so please just get some medical advice,

2posh2post Mon 10-Jan-11 15:10:01

Oh, and by medical advice, I don't mean posters like me on the internet - I mean a proper real life doctor. Sorry to be blunt.

notapizzaeater Mon 10-Jan-11 15:10:50

DH is diabetic and he gets sweet breath when out of control - I'd get her to docs for a urine/blood test

sandyballs Mon 10-Jan-11 16:59:30

Thanks for replies. I have made a doc appt for her.

paddyclamp Tue 11-Jan-11 17:51:07

I've got diabetes (type 1 since childhood)..and i agree with the above about sweet breath..it's caused by ketones which can be a sign that blood sugar is sky high..BUT i think there are other things that can cause ketones too

The main symptoms i had were i was ridiculously thirsty and had no energy..oh and i lost weight!

Waswondering Tue 11-Jan-11 17:52:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Galena Wed 12-Jan-11 18:34:02

Any news, OP?

Pesha Wed 12-Jan-11 18:40:06

Agree with Waswondering, my dc always get a sweet smell on their breath when they're ill or about to come down with something. Its how I tell they're not faking!!

Have you been to the dr? I hope it is just her coming down with something and nothing more serious smile

sandyballs Wed 12-Jan-11 18:45:41

Earliest appt was fri next week but I haven't smelt it since monday. She seems a bit livelier today. Interesting that others have smelt it when coming down with something

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: