Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Question for those with children on Singulair or other Montelukast

(7 Posts)
suiledonne Mon 10-Jan-11 14:15:20

Does anyone have a child under 6 who takes 5mg and not 4mg?

DD1 is 4.7 and was on 4 mg for over a year. We had a paed consultation in October after dd had a bad attack and he told me to double her Becotide and if she was still requiring Ventolin after a few weeks to ring back.

I rang before Christmas and spoke to his receptionist (it was in dd's notes that I was to call) She spoke to the paed and said he was sending out a prescription.

At the time of the visit I thought he was considering trying a different preventer but when I got the new prescription it is for the higher dose of Singulair. On the leaflet it says it is for over 6.

Should I check with the paed or is it normal to put a younger child on a higher dose if necessary?

I will ring the paed's office anyway but it ususally takes quite a while to get a response from them.

Thanks

suiledonne Mon 10-Jan-11 18:28:00

Couldn't get in touch with the doctor today so not sure whether to go ahead and give it or not.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 10-Jan-11 20:14:37

Message withdrawn

suiledonne Mon 10-Jan-11 20:33:25

Hi Pixie, unfortunately I am out of the 4mg and she missed last nights dose as I miscalculated when we needed to re-fill the prescription. blush I am normally more organised and have never run out before.

In the end I broke up the 5mg tablet and held back some so she would get closer to her usual dose.

I'll have to try and speak to a doctor about it but if I can't get in touch with the paed himself I'm not sure what another doctor will suggest.

I'll have to go back to the pharmacist tomorrow and see if we can have a few 4mg tablets until I get it sorted.

It is very annoying though as you might remember we are in Ireland and I paid €60 today for the months supply and might have to pay put for more tomorrow.

I wonder if the pharmacist can take them back even though I opened the pack.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 10-Jan-11 20:47:52

Message withdrawn

suiledonne Mon 10-Jan-11 20:52:05

If I hadn't read the leaflet I would have assumed he just wanted her to have a stronger dose but the leaflet is quite clear about the over-6 thing.

He hasn't handled her allergy very well and it has caused me to lose a bit of faith in him.

BTW I see on the other thread that your dd is improving. Hopefully you will have her home soon. It must be so difficult on you all.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 10-Jan-11 20:58:51

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: