Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

should i pull out DDs loose TOOTH awhile she's asleep. woriied she could choke on it

(40 Posts)
noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:32:05

its hanging on by a thread and is lying horizonitally pointing back towards her throat as its so loose. it was bothering her at bed time but she didnt want me to 'help' it out.

i'm worried she could choke. i'm thinking dry flannel over tooth, and a litlle tug. it would feel like an assult sad but i'm really concerned.

Littlefish Thu 06-Jan-11 22:33:38

No. Leave it.

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 06-Jan-11 22:34:19

So its already loose? I would I think. Not really going to be aware / hurt if on a thread...you are not going to sleep worrying otherwise!

ilythia Thu 06-Jan-11 22:35:07

Mine came out when I was sleeping and I swallowed it. The tooth fairy letter was no pleasant grin

Children choke on grapes and cherry tomoatoes, it is veyr, veyr unlikely that she could choke on comething so small. Can you put her on her side and sleep with her for the night if you are really concerned? If she has said she doesn't want you to then I really wouldn't pull it .out

ilythia Thu 06-Jan-11 22:35:53

<quick hijakc - hi peppa! not seen you around for aaaages!>

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:36:12

i tried to have a closer look just now and she clamped mouth shut whilst asleep.

yes , i will worry.

Cyb Thu 06-Jan-11 22:37:19

She wont choke

But I would pull it out anyway

I LOVE pulling teeth out

Say you were helping the fairies if she wakes up

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:37:51

ilythia, we've had her in our room for 2 nights this week already with a fever. am sooo tired already from 2 bad nights!

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:38:55

omg cyb, do your dc let your? i think mine have had about 12 teeth out between them and i've never even got close!

hmc Thu 06-Jan-11 22:39:03

Sorry to laugh (a little) at you (forgive me) - but honestly, it just isn't going to happen!

TheSleepFairy Thu 06-Jan-11 22:39:17

She won't choke on a baby tooth. Both of my children have had teeth hanging from a thread for days & nights before they budged.

peppapighastakenovermylife Thu 06-Jan-11 22:40:12

Ah ha! I am still here just hiding out on academic support threads grin. DS2 keeping me busy. How are you?

How wobbly is wobbly? I would be tempted to try to have a very gentle tug (that sentence sounds wrong) - if the tiniest tug doesnt do it then it shouldnt fall out?

It is totally wrong that I quite like the idea of pulling a tooth out - probably a variant of the spot popping. Note this is only in theory - am not pulling out my DC's teeth!

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:40:56

i know, i'm neurotic. i acuatlly annoy myself.

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:43:19

will go and have another look.

hmc Thu 06-Jan-11 22:44:49

It's quite endearing Noonar - honestly!

I am usually queen of neurosis where my dc are concerned...

TheSleepFairy Thu 06-Jan-11 22:46:28

Well?

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:48:07

thanks hmc for you kind words of comfort grin. i've not made it upstairs yet. popped into kitchen for marmite sandwich instead. am procrastinating

TheSleepFairy Thu 06-Jan-11 22:48:38

I've changed my mind.
Gently pull it out whilst videoing it to show her in years to come.

And as I am the sleep fairy I have spoken to the tooth fairy & she told me the above grin

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:49:49

going upstairs...

thanks fairy. how will i hold the camera???

Herecomesthesciencebint Thu 06-Jan-11 22:49:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilythia Thu 06-Jan-11 22:53:55

well? Is it out? (you meanygrin)

pp - am ok, studying hard (ugh) and DD's keeping me busy too, such fun! <apols for hijack>

TheSleepFairy Thu 06-Jan-11 22:54:22

Stage whisper outside her room "the tooth fairy is to drunk busy tonight so I am going to collect DD's tooth.
Pull it out (gently) & then show said tooth to the camera outside her bedroom.

I can't believe I just typed that!!

Herecomesthesciencebint Thu 06-Jan-11 22:57:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ToffeeChristmascake Thu 06-Jan-11 22:57:32

No, don't pull it out! Read this.

A friend of mine tried to pull out her daughter's tooth. Her daughter shrieked, there was blood everywhere and the tooth stayed in. It wasn't ready to come out.

I'm sure my son has swallowed several of his milk teeth. It's never caused a problem and dentists always say children don't choke on them.

noonar Thu 06-Jan-11 22:57:37

grr no good. she was sitting up in bed and wouldnt let me near. i had a little touch of it but her mouth is tiny and i'd have to force my hand in to get a grip sad. it is at a VERY odd angle, as dh knocked it during a spot of rough play at bedtime. but i think that it is not as loose as the angle seemed to first suggest. i think dh has knocked it into wedged it into an awkward angle, but it is reasonably firm, yet horizontal. very odd.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: