Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 2 breathing funny at night?

(8 Posts)
WimpleOfTheBallet Wed 05-Jan-11 11:14:40

She's 2.10 and she had a bad phlegmy cough over Christmas but that's gone now...she does not seem at all congested in the daytime...no runny nose.

At night since the cough and cold she has been breathing in really loudly...it sounds like her nose is stopped up or something...like it's an effort to get the breath in...then every few breaths it sounds as though breathing out takes a moment and the breath kind of "pops" out...like a cork has been removed....what is this? Is it to do with the cold she had?

Her room is clean and dust free...she's not had problems before...

Elibean Wed 05-Jan-11 12:54:24

Does it sound as though she stops breathing for a few seconds? dd2 had this quite badly, regardless of illness (though coughs and colds made it a lot worse) - sleep apnoea. In her case, it was because of very large adenoids and tonsils, now gone.

In your dd's case, if its just started since her cold, she probably still has a bunged up nose at night - they tend to try and breathe through their nostrils regardless, unless totally blocked up. You could try Otrivine Junior drops, or a humidifier, raise head of bed, few drops of Olbas oil junioer....(can you tell I've been there a lot wink)...

pawsnclaws Wed 05-Jan-11 14:42:47

Hello Elibean, I remember when your dd was coming up to her op - my ds2 had just had it for the same reasons (tonsils, adenoids and grommets in his case) - am a serial namechanger though so you won't recognise me! Glad it all went so well.

OP, I've just posted on another thread today about sleep apnoea, if your dd's breathing doesn't clear up I would get it checked with your GP in case that's what it is.

Elibean Wed 05-Jan-11 15:49:17

Hello, mystery paws! Thanks, and I hope your ds has the same relief my dd has had...she's a bouncing 4 yr old now smile

WimpleOfTheBallet Wed 05-Jan-11 18:36:40

I thought of sleep apnoea....she has Olbas oil for kids but it seems to keep her awake..though DH was probably over generous with it last time!

Paws...whereis the othe thread?

pawsnclaws Wed 05-Jan-11 19:21:21

"DD Snoring" - should be just below this one. My ds2 had the op a couple of years ago and everything (hearing,sleep, behaviour) changed for the better. Olbas unfortunately won't help if the problem is her tonsils or adenoids, it would only help if her problem is mucous. Good advice from Elibean, but if no better within a week or so definitely see your GP.

Elibean Wed 05-Jan-11 19:27:25

I agree with paws, give it a week (in case its just mucous) then go to GP in case its tonsils/adenoids. Tbh, I never found Olbas did much for mucous - dd just seems to find it comforting! Humidifier does, though.

Paws, I'm so glad your ds is much better smile

Elibean Wed 05-Jan-11 19:27:42

Still trying to figure out who you are hmmwink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: