Talk

Advanced search

neurofen and teething pains

(3 Posts)
vasillisa Tue 04-Jan-11 09:03:19

Does anyone know of any problems associated with using child neurofen long term?

I have tried all kinds of pain relief for DS (now aged 1) who has been teething since 4 months, and he most often has calpol/gel/teething powder but when he is really grouchy and in pain neurofen seems the quickest and most effective.

I give it to him maybe 3 times a week (mostly bedtime after food), but am worried about continuing to do this as it says short term use only on the bottle (though local pharmacist says its fine). I have read it can cause stomach problems such as ulcers. I could go to the docs to ask but thought I'd ask here first. Can anybody advise?

sneezecakesmum Tue 04-Jan-11 21:48:29

I did read recently that children given paracetamol run a higher risk of getting asthma as older children. here Nothing really about brufen except can trigger asthma attacks in certain individuals with asthma, but not all.

mummymash Tue 04-Jan-11 21:49:45

definately not to give on an empty stomach as thats where the concern of stomach ulcers comes from.
have you tried ambesol? i found it really good for my boys, its instant pain relief and doesnt slide around on the gums like the gels x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: