Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

neurofen and teething pains

(3 Posts)
vasillisa Tue 04-Jan-11 09:03:19

Does anyone know of any problems associated with using child neurofen long term?

I have tried all kinds of pain relief for DS (now aged 1) who has been teething since 4 months, and he most often has calpol/gel/teething powder but when he is really grouchy and in pain neurofen seems the quickest and most effective.

I give it to him maybe 3 times a week (mostly bedtime after food), but am worried about continuing to do this as it says short term use only on the bottle (though local pharmacist says its fine). I have read it can cause stomach problems such as ulcers. I could go to the docs to ask but thought I'd ask here first. Can anybody advise?

sneezecakesmum Tue 04-Jan-11 21:48:29

I did read recently that children given paracetamol run a higher risk of getting asthma as older children. here Nothing really about brufen except can trigger asthma attacks in certain individuals with asthma, but not all.

mummymash Tue 04-Jan-11 21:49:45

definately not to give on an empty stomach as thats where the concern of stomach ulcers comes from.
have you tried ambesol? i found it really good for my boys, its instant pain relief and doesnt slide around on the gums like the gels x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now