Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice needed now

(15 Posts)
cedmonds Mon 03-Jan-11 22:18:10

Hi
Sorry really worried. DS has had pneumonia(also asthmatic)and is getting over it really well. Last night he came up in a really strange itchy rash on his arm and back and legs and in his groin(did glass test and it was fine) He woke up this morning crying saying it hurt and was itchy. I took him to boots who didn't know what it was and said to give him piriton. He has eaten less today and been a bit floppy. He went to bed after a bath and hair wash and was still saying it hurt. I have been up to check him and his has a small bit of blood coming out of his ear. He is very sleepy but is saying it hurts and is flinching when i touch it.

NHS direct is a 4 hour call back and our local OOH is saying only phone is urgent as they are very busy etc. What would you do?

PacificDogwood Mon 03-Jan-11 22:21:17

Itchy rash is not usually anything to worry about. But blood from ear needs checking out and if he is also floppy and not his usual self, I would take him to A+E.

Good luck.

lagrandissima Mon 03-Jan-11 22:22:42

Perforated eardrum? Don't know, but hope he is OK. Let us know how it goes.

Sirzy Mon 03-Jan-11 22:23:01

I would phone ooh as to me the floppiness and blood makes it urgent. Otherwise I would go to a and e

Hope he is ok xx

Goingspare Mon 03-Jan-11 22:23:38

I'd phone OOH - you won't know whether it's urgent otherwise.

Is he on antibiotics - if so could the rash be an allergic reaction? Wouldn't explain the ear though.

Sirzy Mon 03-Jan-11 22:23:41

I thought perforated ear drum to.

makedoandmend Mon 03-Jan-11 22:24:28

I'd take him to A&E now to check because of the ear.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

cedmonds Mon 03-Jan-11 22:36:21

HI Thanks
I am waiting for OOH to phone back . HIs not on antibiotics now but he is a very allergic child so did think it could be a allergic rash to something but what i dont now as he has had nothing new. He has got grommets so can they get a perforted ear drum when they are in place? Dh thinks he has stuck his finger in his ear whilst he is alsleep it could be possible but i would of thought he would have blood on is fingers and he hasn't.

alypaly Tue 04-Jan-11 01:25:22

sounds like a perforated eardrum as the others have said and possibly a sweat rash from having the pneumonia with a temperature and lying in bed on his back.

lisad123isasnuttyasaboxoffrogs Tue 04-Jan-11 01:28:27

OOH or A&E in my opinion.
Has he complained of headache or likely to have hit his head today, if so its A&E

cornshilk007 Tue 04-Jan-11 01:33:31

I would go to A&E

cedmonds Tue 04-Jan-11 09:29:58

HI he went to a+e he has a perforated ear drum one side and a infection in the othersad His rash they think is due to an allergic reaction. He is on antibiotics double dose of prition,calpol and predlisonle.Hopefully he will get better soon and can go back to school

makedoandmend Tue 04-Jan-11 09:40:59

Glad that you found out what it is cedmonds - hope he's feeling much better soon

PacificDogwood Tue 04-Jan-11 16:15:38

Oh, thanks for the update - glad to hear you got an answer and he is on treatment smile. FWIW, once the ear drum is perforated their pain is usually instantly much better and the infection should clear quickly. Get well quickly, Littlecedmond.

cedmonds Tue 04-Jan-11 17:34:09

Thanks he is feeling a bit better still floppy and not eating much so I think he will be off school again tomorrow. They also won't give him the piriton so i want his rash better before he goes back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: