Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do you have a child with a tendancy to run very high temps?

(21 Posts)
Avocadoes Mon 03-Jan-11 20:47:31

My DD1 (4) always run stupidly high temps when ill. Often above 40 even after calpol. Right now it's 40.6. Everytime this happens I take her to the GP who panics as her pulse is always fast too. The GP then refers to paediatric A&E and there I have always been told it's viral and not to panic. So this time I'm not panicing but it feels scary not getting a medical opinion for such a high temp.

Do others have experience of this? Do you take your DCs to the doctors each time?

Avocadoes Mon 03-Jan-11 22:14:15

Bump

jamieoliverfan Mon 03-Jan-11 22:36:23

Could you also give her calprofen (often works better in bringing temperature down). Also lightly cover with sheet and nothing else. Sponging is no longer advised. Drinking water is also good to make sure she won't get dehydrated. Is she awake? Sleeping? I would keep a close eye and keep monitoring her temperature. If it gets close to 41 I would personally call an ambulance.

Ingles2 Mon 03-Jan-11 22:42:51

yep, my 9 yr old always has temp around 40 when he is unwell.
It still worries me senseless, but I now know that the combination of calpol and calprofen, alternately, every 2 hours, will bring the temp down.
Do you have an ibuprofen based medicine in the house to give her?

Justers Mon 03-Jan-11 22:50:10

Yes my son is the same when ill and it is always a worry. I now tend to now concentrate more on how he is behaving rather than the actual temperature i.e. is he drinking, responding appropriatley etc. As the others have suggested as I also use paracetamol/ibuprofen in combination. It always seems to happen out of gp hours as well!

4nomore Mon 03-Jan-11 23:23:51

My son is similar (although he's a bit better now at 8 than he was up to 5 or so) the thing is he also acts really ill and listless too and increasingly over the last few years tends to get very faint as his temp is rising. He's scared me stupid on more than one occasion but he's never come to any real harm. I'm happy to chuck the maximum doses of both ibuprofen and paracetamol down him when it seems to be required.

Avocadoes Tue 04-Jan-11 08:18:17

Thanks everyone. It's 40.4 this morning. I am giving her ibuprofen too but the max is 3 doses in 24 hours so I can't give it between every calpol dose.

Comcentrating on her behaviour is what the doctors advised but the fever always makes her so listless. She is responsive though. And drinking.

These temps strike every few months. You think I'd be used to it now.

jamieoliverfan Tue 04-Jan-11 13:25:00

Hmm ... if it is every few months maybe it is worth to ask for a referral to see what causes them or do you think it is caused by picking up a lot at nursery (if she goes to nursery)??? You can give ibuprofen every 8 hours and calpol every 6 hours. Agree it is scary those high temperatures, especially if they stay over 40 with calpol and calprofen maximum dose. Hope she gets better soon.

earwicga Tue 04-Jan-11 13:27:47

Have you checked her tonsils for white spots? It's not always noticed by docs (as I know from bitter experience) and children this age don't complain of sore throats.

starfishmummy Tue 04-Jan-11 14:46:40

Do you ever take your childs temperature when she is well - so you know what is "normal" for her, and might be useful for medical staff to know.

notrightnow Tue 04-Jan-11 14:55:47

What kind of thermometer are you using? My DD is also a hot creature (older than yours so it's not quite so scary). My digital oral thermometer rarely registers her over 39 but school use an ear thermometer and regularly try to send her home with a temp of 40.

As long as your DD is lucid and drinking plenty I would try not to worry, although I would ask the doctor about other underlying causes if it keeps on, and second the checking the throat point that earwicga made.

I rarely do the ibuprofen/calpol thing as I am anxious about such a lot of medication without medical supervision and advice, and read that some recent research now suggests it's not that effective. So I am just very watchful of my DD when she's ill and reckon that the fever is her body fighting infection and that nature knows best.

beachholiday Tue 04-Jan-11 14:58:31

I find that giving the medications in suppository forms works quicker at bringing the temperature down - absorbed directly into bloodstream I believe.

earwicga Tue 04-Jan-11 15:51:18

Calpol Melts do the same thing beachholiday, and they are taken orally. Worked wonders on my child before toncils were removed, as temp was always accompanied by sickness.

notrightnow - I agree that it isn't always best to give meds, but I tend to do it for high temps because of the risk of fitting. But it isn't probably so likely at age 8 - really should look that up!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 04-Jan-11 15:58:35

yy to alternating paracetamol anf ibuprofen
this was recommended by paediatrician after dd1 was hospitalised with febrile convulsions.

dd1 regulatly has temps of 40+, and i have sort of got used to it. i'm more relaxed if i can see a likely viral cause eg snotty, sore throat. if not, i take her to the gp for a urine test, as she has a history of UTIs.

agree with the poster suggesting that you monitor other symptoms eg breathing and responsiveness. also lots of cool fluids.

3rdnparty Tue 04-Jan-11 16:03:18

yes had this with ds5 as well and after spending a couple of nights in hospital whilst he bounced around a&e in just a nappy with temp over 40 now make myself wait 24hrs - if still over 40 after 24hrs of dosing then go to docs/hospital definately less often now than (nearly 6 ) than before..

bubbleymummy Tue 04-Jan-11 16:13:32

NICE guidelines do not recommend alternating ibuprofen and calpol - they recommend trying the alternative if the first doesn't work.

Also research has shown that antipyretics do NOT prevent febrile convulsions.

Unless the fever is causing discomfort you should not treat it (according to NICE guidelines) It is more important to look at the child and how they are behaving, responding.

bruffin Tue 04-Jan-11 16:30:22

Nice guidelines are on the over cautious side so as not to overdose, recent research has actually called for the guidelines to be changed back to alternating calpol and ibroprufen as it is the best way of reducing a fever.

Antipyrectics don't prevent the initial febrile convulsion because it is when the temperature shoots ups and usually the first sign the child is ill. If the child is prone to complex febrile convulsions (is long ones or more than one in 24 hours) then may have a febrile convulsion when the ibroprufen/calpol wears off so that is why the best way to prevent further ones is alternating calpol/ibroprufen as one is still working when the other has worn off.

When my DS has had more than one FC it has always been when he has just had calpol or ibroprufen and it is approaching the time that it is wearing off.

piratecat Tue 04-Jan-11 16:35:01

my dd is now 8 but when she was the same age as your dd and younger she would get sudden fevers.

I didn't take her everytime no, after a couple of yrs learnt that this is how her her body dealt with impending viruses. Yet if i was overly worried becuase the fever came and went over say 3 days i would take her.

She would be fine one minute then burning up the next.

bubbleymummy Tue 04-Jan-11 17:11:36

bruffin, no offense but I think people should stick to official guidelines on medication.

Iirc alternating paracetemol/ibuprofen can potentially reduce the fever for an additional 4 hours - is that what you mean? Even if that is the case it doesn't change the studies that have shown antipyretics do not prevent convulsions nor does it agree with the NICE guidelines that do not recommend using antipyretics solely to reduce fever - only if it causing discomfort.

minxi Wed 05-Jan-11 20:50:21

Both my DS had this (now aged 10 and 7) ds1 used to panic in the first year but realised when ds2 came along that it is only viral and it was clearly their way of fighting infection/viral... my dr and my uncle who is also a Dr used to tell me to do full dose of calpol and nurofen then every 4 hours calpol and every 6 hours nurofen side by side - if the first dose of doubling didn't bring it down within an hour then dose again and start the 4 - 6...the medicines are apparently not that strong you can't overdose! Most temperatures are viral - keep the child cool and don't panic... my two still get it from time to time - its not much fun but as long as they dont have a rash and are drinking plenty of fluids she will be fine...

inthesticks Thu 06-Jan-11 16:00:24

DS1 always gets high temp when he has a virus.
He had febrile convulsion and lots of hospitalisations as a baby and I consequently became obsessed with his temperature.
I'd like to say it gets better but he's 15 and 6' 2" now and he's currently in bed with a fever , I think he has flu.
I still alternate paracetamol and ibupfrofen, didn't know the guides had changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now