Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6yo with sudden acute headache

(10 Posts)
BooBooGlass Mon 03-Jan-11 20:35:54

My poor dd She's come back from a visit with her dad today and about half an hour after getting off the train suddenly burst into tears and the colour just drained from her face. She has a bad headache and earache, as well as a tummy ache. Apparently she was ill for 2 days over the last week, which I am hopping mad not to have been told about but that's another thread. Am giving her paracetamol and ibuprofen, but she still seems to have a temperature, but is thankfully asleep now. It's how quickly the headache came on that worries me, she literally went from being OK to crying out in pain. She's been mildly under the weather for a few weeks, and had a sore throat when she left last week. Is this the dread flu?

BooBooGlass Mon 03-Jan-11 21:04:23

bump. Anyone??

Catsmamma Mon 03-Jan-11 21:07:54

my dd has done this sort of thing....too much over excitement, just running on empty, too many late nights....

suddenly she'll go grey and dissolve into tears

calpol/whatever, a warm bed and a cool compress for the head.

and see how she is in the morning.

LilRedWG Mon 03-Jan-11 21:07:56

No advice other than to take her to the doctor in the morning. If you do not want to wait that long it is worth giving OOH doctor or NHSDirect a call.

Hope she is feeling better soon.

Catsmamma Mon 03-Jan-11 21:08:24

oh and she's 15 now and has grown out of it!

BooBooGlass Mon 03-Jan-11 21:17:19

Thanks catamama. I had thought maybe it was a reaction to being home, but that doesn't really explain why she's been ill while she as away and tbh, the state she's in Sleeping soundly still thank goodness, so maybe her fever will have disappeared in the morning. Lilred, do you think the Dr would tell me off for takign her into the surgery? I'm not sure the other people in the waiting room would appreciate it tbh

LilRedWG Mon 03-Jan-11 22:38:24

Call the surgery first thing and ask the receptionist if they are okay with you brining her in or if they would rather provide a home visit for you - let them decide.

jamieoliverfan Mon 03-Jan-11 22:48:15

swine flu??? There is another thread somewhere about symptoms

LilRedWG Tue 04-Jan-11 17:19:05

How is DD today booboo?

BooBooGlass Tue 04-Jan-11 18:55:12

Much better actually Woke up crying about her head but have kept up with the calpol and neurofen and it seems to be under control. SHe's meant to be back at school tomorrow but I think I'll keep her off for a day to see how she is, I think she'd probably not cope without her medicine really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now