Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Psoriasis in 10 yr old

(11 Posts)
madhairday Mon 03-Jan-11 10:30:04

DD has had psoriasis for about 2 years now, and has better and worse times. The winter seems a lot worse. We've seen the dermatologist and gp numerous times and tried so many creams. We're using at the moment cocois coconut oil compound for her scalp and then emollient cream and dovenex cream for her body. The scalp cream is working though needs leaving every night overnight which is not ideal (but dermatologist did recommend.) The body creams don't seem to help, the patches are just spreading.

I feel so very sad for her because at 10 she is very aware of herself and does get the occasional nasty little sod at school calling her names for it. It's very obvious on her face and neck so not easily hidden. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone got any advice please or tried a miracle cream for this?

The doctor says she is not sure why dd gets it as it is often caused by stress. She has had some problems with bullies but seems ok at the moment.

nightcat Mon 03-Jan-11 12:37:33

Are you aware of the psoriasis link to possible gluten intolerance? Also, specifically dermatitis herpetiformis is the condition where scalp is affected in a similar way.
link

madhairday Mon 03-Jan-11 13:59:55

Interesting article nightcat. I'd never heard of the possible connection, dermatologist didn't mention it so I may ask her and the gp about it. dd has never shown any signs of gluten intolerance but that article says it may be dormant.

Anyone else with any experience?

alypaly Tue 04-Jan-11 01:33:38

has she tried exorex lotion and diprosalic for the bath.

there is a very old fashioned treatment of icthopaste bandages which you wrap the skin in overnight or all wekend if possible and they have been very effective with alot of sufferers. also putting emollients under cling film and wrapping areas(but not steroid creams uder wrappings.)

madhairday Tue 04-Jan-11 10:04:34

Thanks alypaly, no not tried either of those so will also mention to gp next visit.

The cling film over the emollient sounds an interesting idea, could give it a go. It's at its worst on her chest and back, none on legs and bits on elbows. Not sure how I'd wrap up the areas but will look into it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 04-Jan-11 11:21:26

What sort of psoriasis does she have? it can have a bearing on the most effective treatment.

If there is some guttate (loads and loads of little spots) then that can be brought on by infections - particularly strep throat infections. My derm suggests that I always get antibiotics for throat infections sooner rather than later. If I leave it, then a week later I'm covered! Guttate is hard to treat effectively other than with lots and lots of emollients and uv treatment.

If it is chronic and ff she reacts well to dovonex there is a dovonex scalp solution she can try. Also for short term only you could ask about dovobet which has a steroid in it. It can help just to get on top of it then go back to dovonex. Or her derm might be happier with betnovate am and dovonex pm.

Never ever ever put on an occlusive dressing over steroids unless you have been specifically told to.

To break the itch/scratch cycle which can be a problem then an antihistamine can help, esp something like piriton at night.

madhairday Tue 04-Jan-11 14:52:57

Thanks OhYouBadBadKitten. We haven't actually been told a specific name for it but it is as you describe, loads of little spots (some bigger than others) at one time some of them got so bad they were bleeding, she also has these on her scalp. The dovonex is not working as well at the moment, the cocois is doing a good job on the scalp. I may also ask about the steroid one. We did try a scalp one called Psorin but it really burnt her skin. We also use Pentax coal tar shampoo.

Do you mind me asking if you've had psoriasis since you were little? Do you find that you can only use certain types of skincare product and shower gel etc? We only use the Pure stuff for dd as even Johnsons baby bath seems to irritate her.

Hadn't thought of Piriton either but good idea as she does scratch in the night, I've been putting her cream on in the morning and can see the scratch marks.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 04-Jan-11 15:16:06

I was hospitalised with it for several weeks when I was little. so a fair bit of experience!

It really is worth asking about uv therapy if it is guttate. It can be a long waiting list in some areas, but it is by far the easiest way to treat it. It is really hard to apply creams effectively when you are playing dot-to-dot. You can't use some of the stronger creams with guttate. There's the old fashioned coal tar baths too.

For the scalp sometimes nizoral can help, I think that when the plaque builds up there can be a bit of a fungal component to it.

I don't find that particular skincare products cause me any problems, only if I let my skin dry out.

At the moment my scalp is bad. I could never be a burglar, I leave too much DNA about the place.

I don't want to introduce something that might worry you, but do watch for any joint problems. Sometimes it can be associated and doctors don't always piece it together

madhairday Tue 04-Jan-11 19:20:25

Thankyou so much. It's a relief to talk to someone who knows what I mean. The 'dot to dot' is exactly it - feel like I'm putting cream on all her spots one day then the next there's another outbreak, and so on - never seem to conquer them.

What does the UV therapy involve?

I do feel like I have more information now to talk to the gp and dermatologist. Hopefully we can find something that works better for dd.

I'm so sorry you have suffered so much with it. I hate seeing dd getting so upset with it. Must have been awful to be in hospital with it.

KWYM re DNA grin - dd sheds great big bits of skin wherever she goes and also has terrible dandruff.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 05-Jan-11 09:14:25

If she is still breaking out you might be able to get a sympathetic gp to prescribe antibiotics for a potential strep infection.
Mine has done for a couple of big outbreaks Though I have a new gp now so I don't know if she will be the same. My old one trusted me to tell her what I needed for my outbreaks - with this sort of thing you have to become the expert!

uV therapy is quite time consuming - your dd would need to go to the hospital approx 3 times a week for a few weeks. Each treatment takes minutes at the most. Sometimes something like psoralen would be administered before hand. UV goggles are worn.

psoriasis association may be able to help

In the 'olden days' when I was a little kid I would hop from a coal tar bath to the uv lamps. then have dithranol paste applied and then bandaged from head to toe. No wriggling allowed! It is much kinder nowadays! no burning meds and much more effective faster lamps. The upside of all the uv therapy I've had is that I never seem to get sunburned - just go instantly brown!

madhairday Wed 05-Jan-11 13:11:33

Thanks again, that site is very useful. Trying now to remember when she last had a sore throat, as she has had the spots for so long now. The gp didn't mention the connection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now