Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Allergy to pampers?

(9 Posts)
lifeistooshort Mon 03-Jan-11 00:25:57

I wonder if anyone has ever heard of children being allergic to pampers. DS has broken up in a very angry rash today, mostly around the nappy area but it is now spreading up to his ears poor thing. I have tried to think of what we have done differently and the only think I could think off was that we ran out of "nature" nappies yesterday and bought an emergency pack of pampers which seems to tie up with the rash. I am really surprised though that nappies could cause this, he is in such a state poor thing. Keeps waking up because it is so itchy. He doesn't have a temperature but if it carries on I will take him to the doctors tomorrow.

Has anyone ever heard of such thing?

cookielove Mon 03-Jan-11 00:28:16

yes children can be allergic to pampers, or to huggies, or any different type of nappy, i think it is quite common. I would him back in his normal nappies as soon as possible, bathe the affected area with water reguarly to help calm it.

toody Mon 03-Jan-11 00:38:18

ds has allergy to pampers the extra dry ones with green stripe down middle for keeping baby drier its something in the stripe.

toody Mon 03-Jan-11 00:40:29

you could try antihystamine such as piriton for itching or calamine lotion

lifeistooshort Mon 03-Jan-11 01:04:49

Oh thank you! I wasn't expecting to get any replies tonight! I have given him piriton and he seems to be sleeping now. I think I'll do the same and see how things go tomorrow. Am shocked that nappies can cause such a bad allergy though

SofiaAmes Mon 03-Jan-11 01:05:55

My kids both got rashes from pampers and huggies, but not from the Tesco brand nappies.

lifeistooshort Tue 04-Jan-11 16:06:02

Well we took DS to the doctors and it definitely is an allergic rash. Poor think got some everywhere even his hair! I think I might complain to the manufacturer!

SofiaAmes Wed 05-Jan-11 07:42:37

For what it's worth, pampers and huggies are the only thing ds has ever been allergic to thus far (he's 10 year old now).

NightFury Wed 05-Jan-11 09:23:12

DD was hideously allergic to pampers. With DS we used reusable nappies and we never had a problem. Reusables are fantastic and much less bother than one would think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now