Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD not urinating?

(22 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 01-Jan-11 16:23:08

DD (2.9) is on her second day of antibiotics for a chest infection and I have just realised I have not taken her to the toilet all day. Her nappy this morning was dry too.

She has had a couple of drinks today but not as much as usual.

Should I be concerned?

CarGirl Sat 01-Jan-11 16:24:18

yes

SantosLHalper Sat 01-Jan-11 16:32:56

Yes, immediate medical attention needed.

Sirzy Sat 01-Jan-11 16:45:24

Yes, if she hasn't urinated all day I would at least take her to ooh or even a and e

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 01-Jan-11 16:56:54

She has just been for a wee and has had another drink.

Her wee was quite pale not distinctly yellow or orange so she isn't dehydrated.

She seems fine in herself and no temperature although a little grumpy.

I live a 45 minute drive from A+E and we don't drive and have nobody to take us.

TheVisitor Sat 01-Jan-11 16:57:47

She sounds very dehydrated. See if you can get her to drink lots and frequently - a sports bottle is good for this and get medical advice. Our of hours doctor may be good.

CarGirl Sat 01-Jan-11 16:58:33

Monitor it very closey, it's really not normal. Have you got the antibiotic leaflet - check what it says about side affects just in case there is a link.

Kirk1 Sat 01-Jan-11 16:58:35

Call NHS direct. They will be able to tell you i fhtere's a problem you need to call a doctor or an ambulance for. That's what they're there for!

TheVisitor Sat 01-Jan-11 17:04:56

Just keep an eye then, and make sure her fluid levels stay topped up.

usualsuspect Sat 01-Jan-11 17:07:40

Give her ice lollies if she doesn't want to drink much ...

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 01-Jan-11 17:08:12

ok if she doesn't go again before her bath at 7 then I will call OOH or NHS direct. Just made her a big bottle of water in the posh bottle I use for the gym, she likes that.

Bowel movements are fine.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 01-Jan-11 17:08:56

usual suspect thats a good idea, shame i dont have any. Off to sainsburys i go!

Littlefish Sat 01-Jan-11 17:17:11

My GP recommended jelly and ice lollies as good sourcees of liquid. Dd took the GP at her word and refused to eat anything else for 24 hours grin

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 01-Jan-11 17:22:41

grin littlefish

I keep asking her if she wants a drink all I get is "nope not thirsty" She didn't want any dinner so she just has some toast and a banana.

I really hope she goes for another wee soon.

Why do kids time illnesses on bank hols grin

LilRedWG Sat 01-Jan-11 17:25:44

I would call OOH or NHSDirect now. Such a small amount of urination is not healthy.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 01-Jan-11 17:38:17

I have requested a call back on NHS Direct. I tried calling and it said a 2 hour hold time on the phone so I though the call back would be better. It said we get priority as it is for a toddler.

i will let you know what they say.

Thanks for your help

SantosLHalper Sat 01-Jan-11 18:50:55

If she has had a wee then thats ok. If she hasn't at all, then casualty ASAP. If she has had a wee, then she needs to increase fluids.

PixieOnaLeaf Sat 01-Jan-11 18:57:42

Message withdrawn

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sat 01-Jan-11 19:18:47

She has been again since I last posted. I don't think there is any discomfort when she is weeing although she can't really tell me properly.

We played a game where she got a big bounce if she had a drink and I got a whole cup through her.

No call back yet.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Sun 02-Jan-11 18:53:24

Just to update.

NHS never rang me back.

She went to bed having had 3 wees all day (that's including the ones I mentioned on here)

There was a wee or two in her nappy this morning and we have been pumping fluids through all day and she has been going as normal. Relief.

will keep a close eye on her over the next couple of days though.

Thanks for all your advice yesterday.

CarGirl Sun 02-Jan-11 19:53:24

Good news that she is now weeing more frequently/normally.

LilRedWG Sun 02-Jan-11 21:55:38

Glad she's on the mend.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: