Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 week old's noises keeping me awake at night

(2 Posts)
TabbyMoon Tue 28-Dec-10 15:24:59

Hi all,

I am having real problems sleeping because my 3 week old is making very loud noises in her sleep (and sometimes when she is awake). They can sound like a variety of animal noises and primarily seem to be due to her trying to clear her throat of mucus. I have done some research and understand that this can often happen with newborns and it should subside once the baby has grown a bit but I worry that the mucus is bothering her and also the noises are making me miss out on sleep. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help lessen the amount of mucus in her throat. I know the going advice is to put a baby on its back to sleep but I am convinced that this is the worst position to help my daughter clear her throat as it is on her back when she makes the most noises (and upright when she makes the least). Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

sneezecakesmum Tue 28-Dec-10 16:55:58

It is quite normal for newborns to sound like piglets!

You could try raising the head of the cot to put her chest a bit higher. Stop the air being to dry with moist towels on radiators or maybe try a humidifier.

Otherwise its earplugs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now