Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Diarrhea in newborn baby

(5 Posts)
aichi Mon 27-Dec-10 19:53:42

My 6weeks old daughter had very runny watery poo two days ago but it didn;t worry me as she's generally content and feeds well - I'm breastfeeding.
She didn't poo at all yesterday, except very small amount of poo.

Today she had the same kind of watery poo/diarrhea twice and I'm worried if she's got infection or I'm passing on something that her body doesn't like?

Not sure if it relates to me having mastitis a few days ago - I had fever and my breast was very sore, it seen to be better today though. I havent taken anything for it, just kept feeding her and massaging my sore breast.

She's got quiet alot of wet nappies.

I don't think I've eaten anything that will upset her stomach...

Is having diarrheas quiet normal in newborn babies??
Is this something to be worried about?

ragged Tue 28-Dec-10 12:31:47

It sounds within the normal spectrum.
If the top half seems fine then don't worry too much about what comes out of the bottom half of baby.

OrangeCountyStrip Tue 28-Dec-10 12:38:11

I would contact the midwife and get some samples sent off, just in case.

Newborn babies can have infections causing diarrhoea so if you are worried, get it checked x

aichi Wed 29-Dec-10 12:04:39

Thanks for you replies,
I told my HV today and she thought, if its only once a day yellow diarreahoea then its nothing to worry about. If its constant then she's probably got a bug...

She's content most of the time so maybe I should leave it just now.

aichi Wed 29-Dec-10 12:06:18

I also forgot to mention that she's gaining weight, 350grams within 10 days. So I feel better about it now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now