Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

1 year old with poorly eye

(6 Posts)
FakePlasticTrees Mon 27-Dec-10 10:50:25

My 1 year old DS has woken up with a gunky eye - fast as I wipe it, it's full up again with nasty greeny/yellow discharge.

NHS direct told DH to just wait and see, is not better, go to the GP when they opened again on Wednesday. Any ideas what I should be doing to keep it clean between now and then? Just been wiping it with cotton wool pads with warm water, is that right?

FakePlasticTrees Mon 27-Dec-10 11:10:54

bumpty bump

sneezecakesmum Mon 27-Dec-10 21:00:05

Loads of info here on conjunctivitis this

IwishIcouldmeetSanta Mon 27-Dec-10 21:01:52

Are you bf?

If so a bit of milk in his eye will work wonders.

If not, cooled boiled water on cotton pads, wipe from the inside of the eye to the outside and only use each piece once.

NotNowBernardImStuffingTheBird Mon 27-Dec-10 21:02:27

You can buy OTC stuff (have used on my then 4yr old) but not sure if suitable for a 1yr old

It cleared it up

Otherwise cooled, boiled water (or breast milk if available?)

dikkertjedap Tue 28-Dec-10 12:15:04

You may need anti-biotic eyedrops. As the doctors are open tomorrow, it may be worth to make an appointment tomorrow morning. With the drops it will clear very quickly, after it has completely cleared you still need to give the drops for a further two days to prevent it coming back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now