Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox...but not as we know it?

(11 Posts)
Soupspoon Mon 27-Dec-10 09:19:17

Dd was diagnosed with chicken pox yesterday,but her spots aren't itchy and aren't weepy, looking like angry red big pimples rather than blisters; has anyone else known it like this?

She has had it for over a fortnight now, and it's getting worse spot-wise, although she is not poorly in herself.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 27-Dec-10 09:21:26

Message withdrawn

Soupspoon Mon 27-Dec-10 09:38:14

Thanks Pixie, no, she's had hives before, and they were not as virulent looking, and went in a couple of days. The docs think that dd has had slapped cheek disease, immediately followed by cp when her immune system was low; and he was v certain re the cp.

GiddyPickle Tue 28-Dec-10 00:10:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

raindroprhyme Tue 28-Dec-10 16:23:26

My DS had hand foot and mouth which the GP said was chicken pox, only worked out what it was when i got it. Then promptly got chicken pox.
GP had never actually seen a case of hand foot and mouth in real life.

Soupspoon Wed 29-Dec-10 09:20:53

Thanks GiddyPickle and Raindroprhyme. She had hand, foot a mouth earlier this year, and it was very different from this barrage of spots.
The slapped cheek spots were a lacy rash all over, and some red bumps. Bit unclear as to when this ended and the cp appeared, but there are now a lot of spots...

raindroprhyme Wed 29-Dec-10 20:10:03

When ds got the CP immediatly after HFM his CP spots continued to appear nearly 3 weeks after the first one appeared. I think cos he was run down from the previous virus he had a really severe dose. I felt awful as had just stopped breastfeeding too.sad

Soupspoon Thu 30-Dec-10 09:55:58

Thanks, raindroprhyme. Am sure that the whole giving up bf thing was just a coincidence.

MarmMummy Thu 30-Dec-10 22:58:01

It might be a staph infection. My DD is prone to them and it looks identical to chicken pox, but not weepy. At the same time as the spots she is itchy around her bottom area and sometimes it comes after or is caused by nappy rash.
It only clears with ABs, oral and cream.
We are on our 4th set since august.........

Soupspoon Tue 04-Jan-11 00:04:25

Marmmummy, that sounds horrendous...does it always come with the bottom itching (which DD does not have?)

Is staph in this context the same as impertigo (which was ruled out by 1 GP)?

alypaly Tue 04-Jan-11 01:19:38

slapped cheek or parvo virus does not have spots as such, it is normally a lacey rash and the child is normally off colour for a few days and does look as though they have been slapped. i caught it off my son when there was an epidemic in our area and it took 3 years for docs to find out that i had chronic slappe cheek.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: