Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Unsettled 3 week old having poo almost every half an hour

(12 Posts)
Chooster Sat 25-Dec-10 18:52:34

DS3 is 3 weeks old and for the last few days has been a bit unsettled, especially at evening time. I've started on infacol and it seemed to be helping but now he has a bad bottom and is having quite explosive poos every half hour or hour. I can hear and feel his tummy gurling. I dont remember this much bottom activity with either of my other DS's.

Could this be a reaction to infacol (doubt it though)or can a baby get a tummy bug?? Or is it normal and I've just blanked this amount of poo out smile

beanlet Sat 25-Dec-10 19:21:21

That doesn't sound good to me. When my DS was tiny he sometimes did 5 poos in a day and was fine, but every half an hour sounds lik diahorrea to me. I'd be on the phone to NHS direct at the very least, not on mumsnet

Chooster Sat 25-Dec-10 19:41:53

Really beanlet??? It never crossed my mind to call NHS direct as I dont think he is that poorly. He's feeding well, doing plenty of wet nappies, and is alert just pooing a lot. I was going to see how he is tomorrow and maybe try to call the health visitor. You've made me consider this a bit more seriously though, but as he is feeding well and doesn't seem dehydrated I'm reluctant to panic about it yet.

MmeLindt Sat 25-Dec-10 20:17:40

I agree with Beanlet, that it sounds unusual.

Don't think it is a reaction to the Infacol - as I remember it, it is not absorbed by the body.

Keep a close eye on him, first sign of dehydration - pinch the skin on the back of his hand and see if it springs back, sunken fontanelles or eyes - then go to the doctor or phone NHS Direct.

Chooster Sat 25-Dec-10 20:48:19

Thanks Mme Lindt - fontanelle not indented at all and skin springy - will keep close eye on though... Thanks

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 25-Dec-10 21:02:03

Are you breast or bottle feeding?

For want of too much information - these dirty nappies, how full are they?

Chooster Sat 25-Dec-10 21:23:34

Breast feeding... Not full at all. Most of the time there is a lot of air and a two pound coin size poo in the nappy. Still very yellow, not a greeny colour. It was quite mucusy yesterday but just normal consistency today

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 25-Dec-10 21:32:19

Hmmm now that would make me think it is more of a colicky problem than diarroeah (or however you spell that word!).

Is he having a growth spurt or feeding a lot? Have you eaten something different or signs of thrush?

My DS2 (DC3) was also very like this - I could hear his tummy rumbling in the night. He used to have loads of dirty nappies but never full. Is normal for a bf baby to go quite a lot in early weeks.

Of course check with your HV / GP - however I personally wouldnt be worried as an emergency as long as he appears dehydrated. That is only my personal opinion though - am not a doctor or can give medical info over the net!

beanlet Sun 26-Dec-10 10:48:09

If they're what my DH calls " wet farts" and baby is showing no signs of dehydration it's probably OK. I'd still want a medical opinion sometime this week though.

sneezecakesmum Sun 26-Dec-10 12:11:19

The greeny nature of the poos could mean too much foremilk. Foremilk is very watery whereas the hindmilk is richer in nature, sits in the tummy longer and is more satisfying. Try a couple of feeds in the day expressing some of the bluish milk so DS gets the creamier milk, it wont do any harm for such a short period and as an experiment might be the answer.

Alternatively it is between 2-4 weeks that babies start with colic, so infacol, gripe water, coleif and various colic treatments are worth a try. Look at NHS choices for colic. Milk free diet is the last resort with colicky babies.

sneezecakesmum Sun 26-Dec-10 12:12:40

Sorry - not read 'not greeny!!'
Still worth a try re foremilk.

Chooster Sun 26-Dec-10 15:53:48

Thanks guys... He is still having a lot of small dirty nappies and is definately showing signs of colic. In fact I'm waiting for the 5pm kick off for a cry-fest. I'm still going with infacol but may try some other remedies, although I guess they are hit and miss. Thanks for the views though! He still seems OK and is feeding well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now