Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD just told me she has toothache

(10 Posts)
BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 24-Dec-10 18:03:11

I've phoned the emergency dentist and I'm waiting to hear from them but realistically what can they do on Christmas eve? She is four. Do milk teeth jabe roots/nerves to hurt?

nurseblade Fri 24-Dec-10 18:06:59

Hi I'm a dentist. Primary teeth do have nerves. For the nerve to be exposed there would have to be a big cavity which you would easily be able to see. If there is an abscess you will see a swelling on the gum above the tooth if it's a top tooth or below the tooth if it's a lower tooth. Can you have a look?

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 24-Dec-10 18:20:52

thanks nurseblade. There is no visible cavity or swelling. The dental nurse who phoned me advised us:-

don't give her anything too cold / hot / sugary
brush with warm water
calpol
phone our dentist on Wednesday.

Would you add anything else. She has managed to eat her tea and seems ok atm.

Thanks again for your response.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 24-Dec-10 18:21:30

Message withdrawn

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 24-Dec-10 18:26:48

it is her second to back tooth pixie. It does look like there is a piece missing from the back part of the tooth.

Wallace Fri 24-Dec-10 18:26:57

What about earache?

nurseblade Fri 24-Dec-10 18:27:10

Can you see anything at all that could be causing pain? Is she pointing to a particular tooth or is it her mouth in general? Can she describe the pain? Any other symptoms eg sores on her hands/feet?

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 24-Dec-10 18:29:30

It is one particular tooth. No ear ache or sores on her hands and feet.

nurseblade Fri 24-Dec-10 18:29:59

Sorry x posted. Those teeth are the ones most susceptible to decay and abscesses. Does she describe a throbbing pain? Like there is a 'heartbeat' in the tooth?

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 24-Dec-10 18:31:31

I didn't ask her at the time (four o clock) and she says it doesn't hurt right now - could be because of the Calpol?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now