Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Older baby with reflux - can anyone with exeprience help, please|

(6 Posts)
olivo Thu 23-Dec-10 20:34:09

DD2 had reflux as a baby, treated intially with Gaviscon which did nothing, and then with domperidone, at my request.GP seemd unconcerned. At around 7/8 mo, she seemed to grow out of it, but in the last couple of months ( she is now 16mo), she has a couple of symptoms which i think suggests it may have come back. she is waking in the night (after being a good sleeper)and hates being laid flat, is burping a lot,and sometimes when I am holding her, I can hear something coming up in her mouth.

any suggestions? I tried to get an appt with the dr this week, but full up, so no idea when i can go. should i try domperidone again, in the meantime? Any other ideas please?

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Thu 23-Dec-10 20:38:19

What is she eating? Or what has she had recently?

DS (nearly 15 months) was on ranitidine (neutralises the acid) until 9 months. However he gets the odd episode if he eats foods which trigger it. Main culprits are acidic foods like tomatoes, citric fruits and pineapple. Also I don't give onions or leeks or anything spicy.

He's also intolerant to soya and dairy which trigger reflux!

olivo Thu 23-Dec-10 20:42:37

Hmm, that has made me think. she has been pretty fussy with her food of late, but she does have a lot of dairy and soya (we are veggie).
will have look at my cupboards and fridge and see if there ahs been something new i n the past couple of months.
i did wonder about cutting out her bed time milk but i daren't......

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Thu 23-Dec-10 20:56:11

What bedtime milk does she have? Could you swap it for calcium enriched oat milk (oatly)? My DS has that (in the day when I'm not about as I BF).

It could also be teething though - more saliva, so more swallowing causing burping. A long shot though! Is she drooling, are her gums bumpy? (I only ask because you said she was fussy re food - maybe it's hurting)

I also give DS a couple of sips of fennel tea before bed - helps bring up any wind and settle his tummy. You only need to give a tiny amount.

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 23-Dec-10 21:04:44

I would also consider teething as a possible cause. My DD was on omeprazole until 18 months. A couple of months after she stopped taking it and we all thought the reflux had finally gone, she started getting some molars through and we were back to frequent waking at night etc.

Can you move her bedtime milk a little earlier in the evening so she does not have a stomach full of liquid when she goes to bed? I give DD her milk at about 6pm and she goes to bed at about 7.30.

Finally, is her bed / cot flat? DD is now 2.7 and I still have the head end raised slightly. She sleeps better that way.

olivo Fri 24-Dec-10 11:39:07

do you know, I think you both might be right about teething - she is a bit drooly and her bum is sore at the moment ( i know this is not a symptom of teething but it does happen to her!). it just seems to have gone on for ages, but i guess the molars are big and take some time to arrive.

I will see how she goes; her bed head is still raised, and one day, when i feel brave, we will stop the milk or give it a bit earlier.

thanks to both of you.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now