Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any testicle experts out there?

(15 Posts)
triplethefun Thu 23-Dec-10 12:02:48

My 9 yr old ds is complaining of a swollen testicle. He claims his brother punched him there yesterday morning, a claim denied. However he is still walking like John Wayne this morning but won't let me take a look. Would a punch cause this kind of swelling 24hrs on? Should I be worried?

ragged Thu 23-Dec-10 12:13:19

Sounds normal. I had to look into this a lot because my 9yo DS had unexplained swelling (ended up seeing consultants a few times). If it's still there in a week or he runs a fever with it, or it is VERY painful, or if it becomes a recurring problem then you seek medical advice.

throckenholt Thu 23-Dec-10 12:28:06

might be worth getting it checked out given it is so close to Xmas.

Could potentially be a testicular torsion.

Have you looked at it ? Is it hot, hard, or swollen ?

triplethefun Thu 23-Dec-10 13:01:29

Won't let me look. He says it's swollen & purple but not hard or hot & hurts to touch it.

throckenholt Thu 23-Dec-10 13:04:49

I would take him to a gp them to get it checked - tell him that it is important to get it checked because it can turn into a big problem.

I know what 9 year old boys are like - but somehow you need to make him realise it needs checking without scaring the pants off him !

Reassure him he has done nothing wrong - but that those bits can be damaged quite easily and the gp has seen them lots of times and will be able to make sure it is ok.

ragged Thu 23-Dec-10 13:07:05

Get him to read this and he can tell you if he thinks that's the description for him. The thing about torsion is that it usually happens out of the blue for no obvious reason, whereas OP's son knows he's had a blow in the knackers, lol.

clayre Thu 23-Dec-10 13:09:04

I would take him to a&e if you can't get to gp, if it is twisted the longer its left the less likely they can save it, my ds was born with a purple swollen testicle and lost it.

scurryfunge Thu 23-Dec-10 13:09:32

My DS had a swollen painful testicle as a toddler -we think he did it climbing out of his cot. He had to have it removed.sad.

Please get it seen to asap.

throckenholt Thu 23-Dec-10 13:46:17

by the way - losing a testicle doesn't mean infertility - the other one can cope fine on its own - but better not to let it get to that stage if it is preventable.

Hopefully it is just bruising - but better to check.

scurryfunge Thu 23-Dec-10 13:48:06

Yes, agree. DS is sixteen now and has considered a cosmetic one! It'll be up to him of course.

WeirdFamily Thu 23-Dec-10 14:33:39

Ooh definitely go and get it checked asap! A&E if necessary. DS1 had a suddenly swollen testicle when he was 9 weeks old. It was testicular torsion and he was v lucky not to lose his ball. The window for rescuing the ball is v short (literally hours).

And I seem to remember that testicular torsion can happen due to trauma.

Please go...I'm not usually a "A&E NOW!" poster, but I do worry that people might leave it til the next day to see if it gets better (I so nearly did this myself).

clayre Thu 23-Dec-10 14:54:29

Scurryfunge - my ds is only 5 and doesn't know he's any different yet, how did your ds deal/cope with only having one testicle?

scurryfunge Thu 23-Dec-10 15:02:07

He has been fine really it is only recently that he has asked about it and is considering his options.

We were keen to impress apon him that it will not affect his fertility or sexual acivity and for the moment he seems content. I would answer questions when he starts asking about it naturally.

My own opinion is that I would rather he did not have any unnecssary surgery but I keep that to myself because it is entirely his decision and I do not know what it is like to have one testicle (or any for that matter!).

clayre Thu 23-Dec-10 15:14:41

Thanks, I would def answer honestly, I don't want him to have any unnecssery surgery either, we were just told by his consultant to go to the gp when he's about 18 and fully grown to see about cosmetic surgery, they don't really help with the emotional stuff, I don't want to make him feel any different but want to make him aware to be more careful.

scurryfunge Thu 23-Dec-10 15:19:29

I was also worried about him being injured in sporting activity but I think that is something he has to take an ordinary risk in. I would rather he carried on with his rugby and hockey than being ultra careful and not taking part in anything.

I think avoidance would damage him psychologically and he would always be fearful of something "bad" happening.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: