Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Phlegm/Catarrh - any advice please?

(2 Posts)
Clair100 Wed 22-Dec-10 20:44:15

My DS is aged 5. He has always suffered badly from coughs following a cold. His cough can last weeks and weeks afterwards and we go through countless nights of prolonged coughing fits. He has been thoroughly checked out by the doctors and the hospital and they have ruled out anything serious - no asthma, reflux, nothing. It seems he just doesn't cope very well with a cough. I can hear his coughing is very loose and chesty and he constantly snorts, swallows, coughs, etc. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to help him cough the phlegm up but he just cant. He is also not very good at blowing his nose effectively. The chemist wont sell me a cough expectorant to help him bring up his phlegm as he is under 6. I have tried all the usual things to relieve his symptoms including steam, honey, propping his bed up, vicks on chest/nose/feet, onion in the room - you name it I've tried it! Any advice please?

CupcakesHay Wed 22-Dec-10 22:52:56

You can try avoiding dairy products - apparently they make it worse.

I have a cough medicine which is quite good - seems to get my mucus out of my system (currently 34 wks pg) - Glycerin Lemon & Honey with glucose. Seems to loosen it a bit.

poor love - he has my sympathy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now