Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Infection from vaccination

(8 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Wed 22-Dec-10 09:46:39

Just posted this on vaccination thread but realised there's not a lot of traffic there, so hoping someone might be able to help?

DD was born at Queen Charlottes, Hammersmith 12 weeks ago, and given a TB jab at the time as it's highly prevalent in our area.

Giving her a bath this morning found that the site where she had the jab in upper left arm had a greenish pus oozing from it. Pretty sure it wasn't there the last time I bathed her on Sunday.

Normally I'd go to my dr's but now at my mum's and snowed in! Can't even get to the chemists.

Apart from keeping the area clean (using just water?) does anyone know of anything else I could/should do?

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 22-Dec-10 11:58:38

Message withdrawn

FlightoftheCrimbleTree Wed 22-Dec-10 12:04:07

Salt water can help with infection.

I agree the BCG often gets pussy. Not sure why.

Is there swelling or redness round the site? If this starts then yes she must be seen, if not then you will prob be Ok for the time being at least.

Keep it dry, after cleaning it - try and keep it uncovered as well, ie not under clothing, or cover with a plaster if she has clothes on so nothing sticks to it.

toomuchtooyoung Wed 22-Dec-10 12:44:55

Ah, I knew mumsnetters would come to my aid, thank you and happy Christmas

ragged Wed 22-Dec-10 12:48:09

I'm sure other posters are wise, but I would still phone NHS Direct (they still exist, right?) to get some backup confirmation. You shouldn't get medical advice on the Internet, and all that.

toomuchtooyoung Wed 22-Dec-10 12:52:26

Was going to call nhs direct later when dd has a nap - just hoping for a reply as I'm sat here feeding her

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 22-Dec-10 12:56:41

Message withdrawn

Seona1973 Wed 22-Dec-10 14:21:04

from netdoctor:

The BCG vaccine usually causes a hardened lesion that may ulcerate and occasionally discharge. It heals over several weeks or months leaving a small flat scar. You should keep the area dry to allow it to heal, but it is not necessary to protect it from water during washing or bathing. Avoid covering it with waterproof (airtight) dressings or tight clothing, unless for short periods such as during swimming. If the ulcer starts to ooze you can cover it with a dry dressing until a scab forms, but you should still allow the air to get to it. Airtight dressings may delay the healing of the ulcer and cause a larger scar. If you get a more severe reaction or the ulcer persists seek medical advice from your doc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: