Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blue lips and very cold

(16 Posts)
DasherandSmugly Tue 21-Dec-10 10:35:02

Hi, DD is 2 and has had a tough time this winter.

So far she's had a lingering chest infection which has required 3 week's worth of ABs, a bad croup attack where she was blue-lighted to hospital and needed two doses of dex, a viral infection (which she's just got over) and a stye on her eye (which she still has).

She's now exhibiting something new and I'm at a loss as to whether I should take her to the doctors or not. She's basically very cold and her lips keep turning blue. She seems fine in herself, very chatty as normal, and she's eating (she was off her food) and drinking but she cries when we undress her as she's too cold and this morning even with a jumper dress, under shirt and tights, she's complaining of being cold. Does anyone know what this might be?

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 21-Dec-10 10:58:58

Message withdrawn

OhLittleTownOfShirley Tue 21-Dec-10 11:01:11

I would take her to the GP.

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Tue 21-Dec-10 11:02:06

The blue lips would worry me. I would take her to the doc. Esp as it's so close to Xmas. You don't want her to get worse and end up needing medical help on Xmas day.

4nomore Tue 21-Dec-10 11:03:04

Think it's probably time to see a doctor again - especially as she's had a chest infection and her oxygen levels may be impaired. However, I would say that both my littlest boys have a sort of over-reactive vasculature that has meant that sometimes, when suffering with viruses or when outside in sometimes even mild levels of cold they tended to get blue lips. It sounds like your daughter may be exhibiting similar but yeah, do see a doctor and get that confirmed.

IckleJess Tue 21-Dec-10 11:04:08

I would take her to GP asap. It could be a lingering effect of the chest infection but it sounds like it could be a circulation problem - the feeling cold and blueness of her lips are indicative of that.

I'm no doctor though, I do have a niece with a heart problem though and when her blood isn't circulating efficiently enough she displays similar symptoms to your DD.

Hope she gets better soon, poor lamb, she really has been through it this winter hasn't she?

LynetteScavo Tue 21-Dec-10 11:04:15

What's the temp' inside your house? I'd whack up the heating if you can.

Personally I'd take her to the GP.

'

domesticsluttery Tue 21-Dec-10 11:07:31

Both DS1 and DD go blue around their lips and mouths when they are very cold. I do too. They seem to feel the cold badly too and DD suffers from chilblains.

However if a child suddenly started ging blue around the mouth it would probably be advisable to see the GP just to be sure. Mine have done it since they were toddlers so I know that it is just one of those things. But suddenly starting to do it is different.

SmokinSanta Tue 21-Dec-10 11:08:53

Get her checked with the GP. DS2 suffers with Raynaulds, but it took an ECG and Echo to rule out any serious problems as he suffers from blue lips a lot. It may be due to the chest infection, or just under the weather, but blue lips should be checked if they arent just from obvious cold.

megsophandemma Tue 21-Dec-10 11:14:04

Message withdrawn

DasherandSmugly Tue 21-Dec-10 12:06:51

Thanks for all the comments. I've been in a meeting so only just getting back to this (she's with Daddy today).

You've just confirmed what I thought that we should go back to the GP. I took her last week when her temp was spiking (with the virus) and felt a little foolish that we seem to be there every week and this one was just a common or garden virus so didn't want to overract on this one.

She's not got much fat on her as she's a very active little girl.

Our doctors runs a walk in surgery in the evenings so I think we're going to take her along to that. Thanks again all.

blinks Tue 21-Dec-10 16:17:27

blue lips is something that ALWAYS needs to be checked out quickly as it can be a sign of something serious...

4nomore Tue 21-Dec-10 16:34:03

OP's already said she's taking her child to see a doctor - blue lips can be serious but often isn't, no need to ramp up a panic

emjoe Tue 21-Dec-10 17:25:03

So glad you put that- i am always on here looking and seeing if people are experiencing what i am but to frightened to post as it seems that people always go alot deeper than what is needed- i am aware that people are just helping and thinking of the children but ii am an awful worrier and always think the worst when it comes to my kids and would not cope very well to some of the replies, not saying this to have a dig at anyone and i would be lost without this site and would love to have the support thats given - sorry to hijack the post and i hope your daughter makes a speedy recovery x

blinks Tue 21-Dec-10 17:59:15

OP said they were going to take her to an evening walk in service, 4nomore. in my opinion she should be seen more urgently to rule out cyanosis. that's in my experience as an NHS24 adviser and mother of a child who had an episode of cyanosis.

LynetteScavo Thu 23-Dec-10 17:46:40

Any update? What did the GP say?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: