Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS run into a wall at school and ...

(20 Posts)
winnybella Fri 17-Dec-10 16:26:07

his face is all bruised/bleeding, he bit the inside of his lower lip, tbh it looks as if almost through to the outside iyswim, was bleeding from his nose, chin all bruised and bleeding and the gums over his top two teeth look like they have been sliced horizontally.

Lips v.swollen, he can hardly talk.

Anyway, so they called me, I went to pick him up, called his paediatrician and she said there's no reason to come in or go to A&E.

I sort of agree, but I'm worrying about sliced gums, it looks quite nasty.

At the same time, DD has fever, I can't really sit in A&E with her for hours. I'm coming down with the same bug as well.

What do you think? Anyone know about how do the gums heal?

eeenymeenymineymo Fri 17-Dec-10 16:29:01

If its just the gum and the teeth look ok, they will heal remarkably fast.

Give him a soft diet, calpol and gently clean his lip/gums with a piece of cotton wool and warm salty water.

It will look worse tomorrow than today but after that he will be on the mend.

winnybella Fri 17-Dec-10 16:31:01

The teeth are not moving, which I'm taking to be a good sign.

But, my God, he looks as if he's been in a car crash. Apparently was running and slipped and hit his face on a wall.

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Dec-10 16:32:36

oh bless him, hope he is ok

gums (in fact anything in the mouth) heal really fast, so i wouldn't be overly worried just yet

he may appreciate sucking on an ice lolly or something to help reduce the swelling though?

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Dec-10 16:33:03

btw, i wouldn't go to a&e anyway. if i went anywhere it would be to a dentist i think! but as I say, i think it should all heal up ok

winnybella Fri 17-Dec-10 16:35:47

Yes, the dentist- but our dentist is on the other side of town, I haven't got a car and DD's got high fever, so I would rather not take her out anywhere, tbh.

He says his jaw etc is not hurting, the lips and gums are. I gave him paracetamol, but he says it didn't help.

QuintMissesChristmasesPast Fri 17-Dec-10 16:36:08

When ds1 injured his gum, we were told to to rub gentle with Qtips dipped in Hibitane.
erm. It is like a medicated mouthwash, maybe like listerine?

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 17-Dec-10 19:03:16

Message withdrawn

ihearthuckabees Fri 17-Dec-10 19:54:42

Injured lips and gums can look really manky and awful - I would wait til tomorrow and see how he is. If you're sure he doesn't have a concussion, that is (doesn't sound as if he does from what you've said).

winnybella Fri 17-Dec-10 20:13:06

No, he's fine, I think- is behaving as usual, no headaches, vomiting,irises fine etc. Tbh where he bit his lip from inside looks horrible- bruised and broken skin-almost brown/purple in colour. Is that normal?

southeastastra Fri 17-Dec-10 20:17:58

oh poor him, my son did a similar thing (fell off climbing wall) and his face was really bruised badly)

children's injuries do heal remarkeable quickly

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 17-Dec-10 20:24:17

ibuprofen might help more than paracetamol as it's a better anti-inflammatory. Your poor DS though

DP once did something similar, but instead of hitting a wall he ran/fell into a tree and a brach went through his knee and out the other side.. (just trying to make you feel better )

winnybella Fri 17-Dec-10 20:30:51

thanks, southeastastra

well, erm, yes, Jareth, I guess it could always be worse grin- your poor DP. Did he faint from the shock? I think I would, in fact I remember fainting few times in a row after closing the bathroom door on my thumb blush

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 17-Dec-10 22:48:31

sorry, I know that prob didn't help. sorry blush
was just attempting to help, badly.
confused
anyway, ibuprofen will help more than calpol for this kind of thing (trust me, I've injured myself enough times)

pooka Fri 17-Dec-10 22:53:04

Am not sure whether you'd need to get the lips seen professionally.

DD fell at 3 yrs and whacked her mouth on a low table/ Her teeth cut her lip and it bled a LOT. I took her to A&E because the cut seemed deep, and they agreed that the cut was significant enough to need gluing together. Was all to do with the depth I think.

Healed fine though. And she gave up her dummy at the same time - poor love.

winnybella Sat 18-Dec-10 23:51:13

Now they are all white around the cuts inside his mouth-don't know if it's pus or just the mucus membrane healing that way. Crap. And it's Sunday tomorrow. It's not swollen around it, though.

CharlieBoo Sun 19-Dec-10 09:01:02

Hi, you need to get his mouth looked at today if you can. Do you have an emergency dentist?

My dd did something v similar in September, it also happened on a saturday and our OOH organised for a dentist to come in....On the 3rd day after it happened, she started with all the white and yellow in the gums...does it smell? My dd's smelt AWFUL and it is the gum dying. Some antibiotics sorted it out but he does need to be seen. They also thought my dd had broken the bone that holds the top teeth in place and we had to see a facial surgeon, but got the all clear. Hope he's better soon....

winnybella Sun 19-Dec-10 09:25:12

Oh, shit. Thank you, Charlie.
No clue if it smells- I have a bad cold at the moment and can't smell anything.
It's not his gums (which seem to be healing ok), it's the inside of his lower lip where the teeth broke the skin when he hit the wall. I think the cuts are very deep.
That wouldn't be a dentist that he needs if it's not teeth/gums that are affected, right? I could just take him to A&E and they could have a look at it.
Crap, DD's ill, is coughing so much that is throwing up, don't really want her to hang in A&E so she can pick up a secondary infection tbh.

CharlieBoo Sun 19-Dec-10 12:59:15

Sorry just got back from a kids party. Why don't you ring ooh? If it's the inside of gum a dr could help, it will only be a prescription, it depends how deep they are. This stuff always happens at a bloomin weekend. Hope u get it sorted

pooka Sun 19-Dec-10 15:37:08

I'd really get him seen TBH. When dd cut her lip the doc/A&E staff said that sometimes cuts inside the mouth are tricky to heal - hence them using glue to bind the cut together to help the gum knit back together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now