Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vomiting after amoxicillin

(5 Posts)
Zeeky Tue 14-Dec-10 19:16:19

7 mth old been prescribed amoxicillin for a bad chesty cough. Both times I have given it to him today has been at a mealtime & he has then proceeded to vomit all his food about 15mins later. He has been sick occasionally in the night after coughing a lot but is not a sicky baby so it is very unusual for him to suddenly gag & vomit while eating. Is is a reaction to the antibiotics & should I contact the dr? Or is it just a normal side effect? I doubt he's actually absorbed any of the antibiotics so far!

jeffily Tue 14-Dec-10 19:29:27

I just had to give amoxicillin to my DD (19mo) and she hated the taste of it, so I wonder if it could be that. But also, I am sure that the pharmacist told me that it had to be taken on an empty stomach and at least an hour before food, so it might be worth just checking that. It might make a difference? It is probably worth getting in touch with the doctor, even just to put your mind at rest about the amount that he is getting. Good luck!

Marne Tue 14-Dec-10 19:35:31

My dd has had it several times and has ended up with very runny nappies, she's now 4 and she still can't tollerate it. I t does also taste fowl and it takes 3 people to get it into dd without her spitting it in my face.

Jagsy Tue 14-Dec-10 19:42:33

my dd had same problem last week, doc suggested it just might be the taste as many children dont like it, and then prescribed ceflexin (pink one) which she managed to keep down.

neolara Tue 14-Dec-10 21:05:41

I would contact the GP.

Firstly, it is possible to be allergic to penicillin. I was speaking to someone yesterday who was with a friend who took antibiotics and immediately went into anaphalactic shock alongside copious vomiting. I took particular note because my ds came up with a rash when prescibed penicillan as a baby and GPs are very careful not to give it to him now. Your ds's vomiting may or may not be a reaction.

Secondly, if you ds is vomiting up the amoxicillan, he is presumably not getting the dose of medicine he needs.

The vomiting may just be an unpleasant side-effect, but if I was in your shoes, I would want to check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now