Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd short of Vit D

(35 Posts)
sarah293 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:43:31

Message withdrawn

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-Dec-10 15:55:26

Riven, your poor DD. Have the doctors suggested anything?

sarah293 Mon 13-Dec-10 15:59:50

Message withdrawn

ilovemountains Mon 13-Dec-10 16:12:53

It's important to get exposure to sun around midday to get sufficient vitamin D. I know this goes against the skin cancer advice, but I think the recommendation is half-an-hour without suncream around midday for vitamin D. It'll be on the internet somewhere!

However that's probably not much help for you at this time of year I'm afraid.

tudorrose Mon 13-Dec-10 16:21:39

DD3 blood tests often show lack of vitamin D. She also has supplemant drinks and very high fat/dairy diet. (she has CF)

Her dietician (at childrens hospital in Bristol) prescribes a huge dose of Abidec vitamin drops which sometimes does the trick and others not. It's a pain. She is outside every day, her diet should do the trick but she sometimes she is ok and sometimes not. It's a mystery. It doesn't seem to do her any harm as far as we can tell.

sarah293 Mon 13-Dec-10 16:41:09

Message withdrawn

dikkertjedap Mon 13-Dec-10 18:47:58

It was in the news a little while ago, during the autumn and winter and possibly even spring, children in most parts of the UK do not get enough sun light to produce enough vitamin D hence the call to give them vitamin supplements. I will see if I can find the link to the BBC website.

dikkertjedap Mon 13-Dec-10 18:51:16

here

UltimatePomBear Mon 13-Dec-10 18:51:39

Like D said, the sun in the uk is not strong enough for any of us to produce Vit D in the winter, and Vit D cannot be stored in the body for long so what we make in the summer doesn't last us for winter.
Vit D supplement and a SAD light could help?

nightcat Mon 13-Dec-10 21:54:33

It could be something to do with absorption, dairy is usually high in calcium but not necessarily in vit D. ALso, D3 seems to be a flavour of the day, rather than standard D.
I know some people on Adcal which was recommended to my ds too, but I just give him occasional fish oil capsule.
Actually, I am surprised that your dd on keto is D deficient, as fats are more likely to have fat-soluble vits in them, does she have non-dairy fats in her diet?
I personally prefer single vits rather than multivits, as they can be targeted more at the deficiency.

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 07:37:21

Message withdrawn

nightcat Tue 14-Dec-10 07:50:59

I like scream grin
Do you use goats butter? Don't know for def but I would like to hope that the goats see more of natural daylight than dairy cows, which might make it a little more natural. Goats dairy is certainly easier to digest, my ds has goats butter.

Apparently D is/works as a more natural steroid, prob part of the hype.

I'd also try fish oil, after all fish live in a fairly natural environment.

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 08:01:24

Message withdrawn

QuintessentialShadows Tue 14-Dec-10 08:11:34

Can you get her to eat fish? Or is that against her normal diet advice?
This is going to sound so poncy, but we are giving our kids salmon regularly through winter, as it is so high in vit D.

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 08:13:56

Message withdrawn

thumbplumpuddingwitch Tue 14-Dec-10 08:16:48

Can you supplement with fish oils, Riven? Not fish liver oils, despite them being higher in vit D, because they are also v. high in vit A and any toxins that might have been in the fish's liver.

Or oily fish, mackerel better than salmon (smaller fish, more oil but harder to force down them)

thumbplumpuddingwitch Tue 14-Dec-10 08:18:29

Mackerel will go to paté texture really easily if you use tinned mackerel, Riven. No need to chew it.

QuintessentialShadows Tue 14-Dec-10 08:22:46

I would mash fish with butter and potato for my kids. It works very well with cod, and also fresh salmon. Also the mackerel can be mashed in with something, if the flavour is too strong. Have you tried milk fortified with omega3? It is quite dear though.

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 08:36:47

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 08:38:23

Message withdrawn

QuintessentialShadows Tue 14-Dec-10 08:39:19

I think they were fortifying butter with vit d in the past, but I am not sure they do it anymore!

QuintessentialShadows Tue 14-Dec-10 08:40:08

Maybe you need to check if the butter you are using have the right amounts of vit D.

sarah293 Tue 14-Dec-10 08:42:28

Message withdrawn

thumbplumpuddingwitch Tue 14-Dec-10 08:45:37

I don't think they have ever fortified butter with vit D - they fortified margarines (by law) to the vit D level of "summer butter" (i.e. that which comes from milk the cows produce in the summer - higher in vit D) but I don't think butter was fortified (coudl have misremembered that though).
I don't think the fortification applies to low fat spreads either, although that isn't relevant to Riven.

QuintessentialShadows Tue 14-Dec-10 08:49:01

oooh, looks like you will be headed on a vitamin d in butter research expedition to the shops!

I have a block of Flora Soft. It is not butter, but margarine, but the full fat, not light variety, and it says the nutritional content, and apparently 100g is 160% of daily recommended intake. So quite a lot. Maybe I am leading you astray, maybe all butter carry the same high vit d content?

Must google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now