Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

The magic of Calpol

(7 Posts)
notnowbernard Mon 13-Dec-10 11:24:57

DD1 (7) off school today

Woke in the night with a fever, couldn't get back to sleep. Non-specific symptoms (not complaining of pain anywhere)

Kept her off mainly as she'd be knackered later and would not cope at school

But about an hour ago temp obviously 'took over' (weepy, hot, glassy eyed) so I gave Calpol

She is now behaving entirely normally, though still looks flushed and tired)

I do give meds when warranted but it does tend to mask the real picture, doesn't it?

MegGriffin Mon 13-Dec-10 11:34:52

I have got mine off today DD2 (8). She has been up and down since Friday with temperature and cough/ cold symptoms. This morning she woke with a temp of 40 and was sick. I phoned the docs and spoke to the triage nurse who said best to keep her at home and the doctor will phone me at twelve. They are such a worry. I am having trouble getting calpol in to her as she feels sick. Hope your DD feels better soon.

notnowbernard Mon 13-Dec-10 11:52:12

Sorry your dd is ill, too

There seems to be loads of bugs around atm

Don't know what it is with dd1... she has a bit of a cough but that's it... no pain anywhere else

She's eating like a horse though. 2 bowls of cereal, a slice of toast, a cereal bar and a satsuma already and is now hassling for lunch shock

Am assuming this is a good thing confused

MegGriffin Mon 13-Dec-10 11:56:48

I think you are right about the appetite. At least she gets food and fluids through her food.
After me telling the nurse this morning that Dd has been drinking, I found out that DD has not been to toilet since 8pm last night. She is asleep now though and doc hopefully ringing in a minute.

dikkertjedap Mon 13-Dec-10 13:21:56

MegGriffin - if she has very high fever and you are worried about her being able to keep calpol/calprofen down you can ask your GP for paracetamol suppositories. It might be worth to have a few especially for during the night as you can only get them through the GP I believe.
My dd just had a period of very high fever but that was ear infection and responded to combination of calpol and calprofen. It could be that yours is having swine flu if she is feeling sick as well with the high fever (your GP will no doubt check). If so, we found that if the fever does not respond to paracetamol/ibuprofen, tamiflu did help getting the fever down if given during first 24-48 hours (after that virus is spread too much for tamiflu to really work). DD and I took tamiflu when DH had swine flu last summer and we did not get it also DH fever only got down with tamiflu, paracetamol and nurofen did not make the slightest difference (he was later confirmed with swine flu, that was when he was already recovering because test needs to be sent to lab). Hope she gets better soon.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 13-Dec-10 13:42:43

My DD is off too. Non specific pyrexia, her temp has been up and down since Friday, the highest was 40.3. We are lucky that she will take half a paracetamol tablet.
Paracetamol suppositories are available OTC, but cost many pounds. Best route for a lot of drugs, but Brits don't like them. DD not keen either.

MegGriffin Mon 13-Dec-10 13:59:54

We have a doctors appointment for 4. DD seems worse again and has been sick again. Temperature now 39.8 and she is refusing any medication. I have just cried in frustration. She is so stubborn and even with the promise of the toy of her choice when she is better she wont do it. If we are prescribed anti-biotics, we've had it sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: