Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds (aged 4) has a terrible diet - help needed

(9 Posts)
candycanes Mon 13-Dec-10 11:18:46

he has such a limited diet and im stuck on how to change this
he eats mostly chicken - any type
chips ,boiled potatoes
and lots and lots of toast,bread type items (brioche,crumpets etc)
he doesnt eat veg ,fruit or dairy or any pasta or rice,no fish or any other meat
he is always ill understanably ,one cold after the other
i give him childrens vitamins
one thing we have noticed is that he will eat spicy food curry but not the rice
his dad is from bangladesh and he will eat some veg like cauliflower and potatoes in a spicy sauce.
how can i hide veg in chips and chicken ?

candycanes Mon 13-Dec-10 13:04:30

bump please

BollocksToThis Mon 13-Dec-10 13:11:54

Ok, I would do two things. I'd start hiding veg but I'd also offer it religiously, in various forms, and ignore any refusal or reaction, just quietly clear it up. Chop things into different shapes, offer cutlery, try with/without peel etc. And don't coax. From the hiding perspective, get a stick blender and make your own tomato sauce, loads of good recipes in the recipes section!

Bookswapper Mon 13-Dec-10 13:14:01

Chop veg small and put in curry add a spoonful of yoghurt to cool it down on the side ? Or how about making veg pakora? And persevere. My boy is the same it just takes time.

candycanes Mon 13-Dec-10 13:20:53

my eldest boy is now 12 he was exactly the same it near on sent me mad worrying about his health
he will now eat so much more than he did when he was little - he's still not a fan off fruit though
its not practible to make a separate curry dish for him all the time though is it ?
my dd is 9 and she will eat everything,i eat more than my 5 a day so they havent learnt it from me!

Galena Mon 13-Dec-10 15:42:09

What about making different veg chips so carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, etc?

thehairybabysmum Mon 13-Dec-10 15:50:04

What Bollox says....plus stop giving him the stuff that you don't want hm to have so often.

Veg chips a good idea too.

Soup??

candycanes Mon 13-Dec-10 19:21:34

i hadnt thought about the veg chips will give that a try - but i have a feeling he is way too clever to fall for that - he wont eat any kind of sauce ,he would never try soup - he went mental today when i put salad on his plate

BollocksToThis Mon 13-Dec-10 19:25:48

Just keep dishing it up and don't enter into discussion about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: