Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9 week old with diarrhoea (I think)

(12 Posts)
FingonTheValiantReindeer Sat 11-Dec-10 16:05:04

I think ds has got diarrhoea. He normally poos once every three days, but since Thursday it's more like once every 2-3 hours or more (he's filled three nappies in the last 1.5hrs). Also it's turned from yellow to green and lumpy.

On yop of thar he's suddenly turned into a screamer, is irritable and clingy, won't nap and won't sleep at night.

He had his jabs on Tuesday, is this all linked? Is there anything I can/should do?

He's so miserable and I'm wavering between worried, miserable and out-of-my-mind <not getting any sleep >

Thanks so much for any advice

FingonTheValiantReindeer Sat 11-Dec-10 16:06:16

Grr "On top of that" obviously blush

MoonUnitAlpha Sat 11-Dec-10 16:08:19

I'd take him to the doctor I think - is he feeding ok? Any signs of dehydration?

FingonTheValiantReindeer Sat 11-Dec-10 16:13:36

He's feeding loads, I'm getting exhausted and sore and supplemented with formula yesterday which I doubt helped

He doesn't seem dehydrated though

No dr today, is it worth an a and e trip?

onimolap Sat 11-Dec-10 16:15:31

I suggest you ring your OOH doctor (a symptomatic infant probably needs to be eyeballed, so I doubt NHS Direct would be any help).

In the meantime, you need to avoid dehydration - how much has he been taking? Does he seen unusually drowsy? Is he bright-eyed? Does he have a temperature?

MoonUnitAlpha Sat 11-Dec-10 16:16:09

Is there a walk-in place near you? Or maybe call NHS Direct for their advice.

FingonTheValiantReindeer Sat 11-Dec-10 16:27:48

We just have grabadoc here. Last time I called them they told me just to take him to a&e and said they don't come out.

He bfeeding regularly and staying on for a while. When I gave him formula yesterday he got through 200 ml in an hour, then another 150ml an hour or so after that. Then a big bf. So based on that he's taking a lot.

He's bright-eyed and alert.

I dont think he has a temp.

FingonTheValiantReindeer Sat 11-Dec-10 16:32:20

Waiting for grabadoc to call back

LadyintheRadiator Sat 11-Dec-10 16:34:09

I could be way off here but if that's the first time he's had formula, that might have upset him a bit? Formula poos are also a world away from the sweet smelling poo of a BF baby...

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 11-Dec-10 16:37:42

Is it bright green? He could be having a growth spurt - if he feeds very frequently he might end up with a lot of hind milk. This can lead to lots of enzymes being used to digest it which in turn can cause a bit of pain (hence grumpiness) and the green poo. He then feeds more and more because he isnt getting the energy dense milk.

HOWEVER if you are worried I suggest you take him to see a doctor.

Does he look dehydrated? What is his fontanelle like? What is his skin like? Springy? Is he having wet nappies as well?

I would think a baby with diarrhoea would be iller if that makes sense. I would think diarrhoea (or however you spell it!) would also be more watery.

again however I am not a doctor and if you are worried you may want to see someone.

peppapighastakenovermylife Sat 11-Dec-10 16:38:07

I mean fore milk not hind milk...lack of sleep grin

FingonTheValiantReindeer Sat 11-Dec-10 16:44:13

It's not the forst time he's had formula, so I dont think it's that.

Grabadoc want me to take him in so hopefully they can help.

peppa, it is watery, it's also green and has lumps in

I think he is getting more fore milk, which isn't helping, but the problem started before that iyswim.

Thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now