Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stomach bug or just a fever?

(8 Posts)
Marne Fri 10-Dec-10 07:42:54

Dd2 (4) is really poorly, it started at 5pm yesterday, she was really shakey and didn't eat her dinner, i put her to bed and her temp shot up to 40, at 10pm she was sick and temp stayed around 40 all night, she's now drinking slowlly but still very hot. Does it sound like a tummy bug or was she sick because of the high temp?

I have a phobia of being sick so i an really worried i will catch it if its a tummy bug, dh is working a 12 hr shift so my anxiety is high because i'm worried me and dd1 will come down with it.

Should i be worried about her temp being so high? should i phone the GP?

Marne Fri 10-Dec-10 08:35:35

bump sad

jooseyfruit Fri 10-Dec-10 08:38:18

ds2 (2.9yo) had similar on tuesday. high temp, one episode of vomiting. lasted about a day and a half. he is absolutely fine now, and no one else has come down with anything (touch wood)

Marne Fri 10-Dec-10 08:45:13

Thanks joosey, it doesn't take much to make her sick, she was sick with the chicken pox a few weeks ago and is often sick with a high temp, she rarely gets tummy bugs, she seems to have a good imune system from years of picking everything up and putting in her mouth grin.

I really hate it when they are poorly, its so hard with dd2 because she has ASD and can't really tell me how she's feeling (she just agrees with what i say). Fingers crossed she will be better tomorrow, im going to bath her in a bit (if she can sit up) so maybe that will make her feel a bit better.

Hassledge Fri 10-Dec-10 08:47:18

Are you dosing her up on Calpol? And remember you can alternate something paracetamol based with something ibuprofen based, so effectively every 2 hours.

Marne Fri 10-Dec-10 08:52:18

I'm trying to get calpol into her but its tricky, i am sneeking it into her drink which she is slowlly drinking, i have no ibuprofen in the house and no one to get any for me, all i have is calpol 6+ so i am giving her half a dose,not sure if it would be ok to give her a full dose, she is bigger than my 7 year old?

Getting it into her by syringe is a 3 man job grin and i can't get near her with a spoon.

Marne Fri 10-Dec-10 10:49:40

She has hardly opened her eyes today (only to sip her drink), she doesn't even want to watch her favorite DVD sad. Should i be phoning her GP?, if i do phone the gp he will expect me to bring her in and i don't want to move/upset her. Should i just let her sleep it off? She still has a high temp (39.5).

jooseyfruit Sat 11-Dec-10 12:29:21

how is she this morning Marne?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: