Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Adult tooth growing out the back of gums

(10 Posts)
evansmummy Wed 08-Dec-10 18:20:15

Ds has his first wobbly tooth. It's pretty much out, but the new tooth is growing behind it out the back of his gum. Is this normal or should we se a dentist asap? We have an appt but it's not til Feb, should we try and go before then?

belgo Wed 08-Dec-10 18:22:32

At the front? This happened to my dd1. She had two ros for a little while, very odd. They are fine now but a little crooked and she may need a brace in the future.

evansmummy Wed 08-Dec-10 18:24:45

No, tongue side. Like a double row. Should I not worry then and just ask dentist when we go in Feb?

1percentawake Wed 08-Dec-10 20:52:44

My DS has the same thing - his 2 bottom front teeth grew in behind his baby teeth. The baby ones have fallen out now but his teeth are still quite far back. Took him to the dentist who said they will come forward in time and not to worry.

evansmummy Wed 08-Dec-10 22:04:46

ok, thanks for that. Will wait to see the dentist. Thanks for putting my fears to rest smile

PonceyMcPonce Wed 08-Dec-10 22:06:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyInaManger Wed 08-Dec-10 22:10:11

I have the same issue evansmummy. Her tooth was wobbly April this year and has only just fallen out and the new tooth grew there ages ago. Now she has lost her next bottom tooth i can see one will be further behind than the other but i'm pretty sure it will move into place in time. I have her 6 mthly checkup next week so will ask then and let you know.

evansmummy Thu 09-Dec-10 11:20:55

LadyInaManger, thanks would appreciate that - otherwise I'm in for 3 months of probably unnecessary worrying, like Poncey says!

brass Thu 09-Dec-10 22:44:38

as long as he's not uncomfortable it's worth waiting it out because there is alot of movement as others say.

SleighdyInPink Tue 21-Dec-10 17:34:44

Hi evansmummy, just come back from the dentist and this is what she said:

We are born with a horseshoe of baby teeth and a second horseshoe of adult teeth behind the baby teeth. This means when a baby tooth is taking it's time to come out the adult one grows behind as it's ready to push up. In time all the adult teeth slide into place eventually but it can look a bit mis matched at the time. Obviusly if months down the line this hasn't happened then the dentist will advise you (think you said you have the dentist in February anyway so enough time will have passed for you to see how it's going). It is very very common she says. Already in a few weeks i can see my DD tooth push forward almost into place.

Hope i explained that okay! smile

Have PM'd you as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: