Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can I take my 5 month old into a hot tub?

(18 Posts)
PumpkinM Wed 08-Dec-10 17:21:45

I'm shortly going away for a few days, and the place we are staying has a hot tub. Is is safe for my 5 month old DD? If not, I'll leave the swim suit behind and save the space in the suitcase!!

Blu Wed 08-Dec-10 17:27:15

Is it a shared hot tub? I don't tink it would be very nice for other / subsequent users to follow a baby in a soggy swim nappy into a hot tub.
Put her by the side in her bouncer or car seat or something?

5GoldenFimbos Wed 08-Dec-10 17:31:45

I googled and found this:-

No, babies cannot regulate their own body temperature very well. You could overheat the baby and the child's brain could swell possibly causing damage.

Blu Wed 08-Dec-10 17:34:00

But you wouldn't put baby in a hot tub hotter than it's usual bath water, would you?

Colourful Wed 08-Dec-10 17:34:45

Absolutely not.

1. They can't control their own body temperature at that age.

2. Hot tubs are full of other people's bacteria

3. The chemicals they contain in a vain attempt to control the bacteria will damage your baby's skin

Blu Wed 08-Dec-10 17:39:16

See this thread for a run-down on all the reasons why not to take your baby in a hot tub

And though I say it myself, my precis on the thread made me LOL grin

Colourful Wed 08-Dec-10 17:42:46

Lol @ Blu - I remember that thread. Was v funny.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 08-Dec-10 17:43:02

I would, but ONLY if it had been freshly filled, had no chemicals in it and wasn't over about 37C.

Hot tub's are gross.. you should see the scum that accumulates in the water if they've been left for a few days in summer <boak>

ChippingIn Wed 08-Dec-10 17:48:10

It would depend - if it's a hot tub for your room and you can set the temp then yes if you keep it cooler, but if it's a hot communal one then no, they can't regulate their temperature, so its not good for them.

I would still take your swimsuit though because you never know who else will be there who would love to sit by the pool having a cuddle while you soak - win/win grin Also you might be able to take the buggy near by and go in when the baby is napping.

Cossie doesn't take up much room wink

Blu Wed 08-Dec-10 17:55:20

I am LOLing again at the heights of indignation and extremes that thread achieves grin
It should be a Mn Classic, for it's speedy recourse to toddler death and the breakdown of civilisation as we know it, and all over a jaccuzzi.

mjinsparklystockings Wed 08-Dec-10 17:58:21

Message withdrawn

mjinsparklystockings Wed 08-Dec-10 17:59:09

Message withdrawn

5GoldenFimbos Wed 08-Dec-10 18:00:26

Feck me Blu, your precis has put me off jacskuzziescuzzies for life. grin

PumpkinM Wed 08-Dec-10 18:07:59

Thanks everyone. Mumsnet is brilliant!

It's a private hot tub, not a hotel/spa. So I'll check out the chemicals and temperature issues when we get there, and only take her in if it is clean and cool enough. She loves water, so I don't want her to miss out if it is safe.

Blu Wed 08-Dec-10 18:09:57

LOL at Jacscuzzis

GrimmaTheNome Wed 08-Dec-10 18:13:01

If its cool enough for a 5 month old, it won't be hot enough for an adult to bother with it.

MadameCastafiore Wed 08-Dec-10 18:20:01

I have a theory that people flock to hot tubs on holiday or have them in their gardens because they shag in them - therefore I will never go in a hot tub unless it is at the gym as I know no one will be able to shag in that one as has a camera trained on it all of the time!

But to the OP - no do not take your child into a hot tub - it is very very dangerous, hot tubs are HOT, TOO HOT for a baby and you could cause brain damage or death by putting her in it.

ChippingIn Wed 08-Dec-10 22:57:17

hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: