Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 year old complaining of sore penis

(10 Posts)
stickersarecurrency Mon 06-Dec-10 23:21:41

He's had balanitis before. He's very restless at night, wakes to come into our bed and then twitches and squirms all night. And often tired as a result. And he intermittently complains of a sore penis. There's nothing to see, and he's on antibiotics for his tonsils anyway just now. It's probably been mentioned on and off for maybe 3 months now, since the original infection. And he does have a tendency to fixate on "sore bits", I'm sure sometimes it's not entirely true.

Any thoughts? Suspect I'm going to have to do GP and urine sample but don't really want to put the poor thing through more fumbling and meds

alypaly Mon 06-Dec-10 23:28:47

if he has been on antibiotics he may well have thrush. penicillin can cause thrush. DS1 got it after a course of penicillin and its not as obvious in a boy as it is in a girl.

stickersarecurrency Mon 06-Dec-10 23:37:29

Ooh, hadn't thought of that. I'll have another nosey tomorrow, assume I'm looking for white goo? Thank you.

PlumBumandBaublesMum Mon 06-Dec-10 23:43:01

Check for worms, they can creep round front and cause pain, especially if he's squirming about at night

TheButterflyEffect Mon 06-Dec-10 23:43:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stickersarecurrency Mon 06-Dec-10 23:45:06

I did have a peek at his bum because right now that's bugging him but it seems it's the post-antibiotic squits making him sore

PlumBumandBaublesMum Mon 06-Dec-10 23:48:19

sad poor wee thing bring him to gps get a swab taken test for thrush and ask about maybe checking for worm eggs too, kill 2 birds and all that

stickersarecurrency Mon 06-Dec-10 23:58:32

Yeah, sounds like a plan. Thanks.

alypaly Tue 07-Dec-10 15:33:29

plum...boys dont always have a whote discharge as they can get the thrush quite high in the urethra.

if his bum is sore aswell it could be because he has got thrush in his gut at the same time or it could be sore through the squits.

alypaly Tue 07-Dec-10 15:33:40

white

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now