Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Reflux relapse?

(11 Posts)
MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 05-Dec-10 13:28:32

My 6 month old son has been on domperidone and ranitidine for reflux for 6 weeks now and had improved considerably.

This last week he has had a chest infection and is on antibiotics ( penicillin, which I am allergic to). He seems to have gone back to being as bad as he was pre-diagnosis. He is arching his back in the night, refusing feeds, screeching and also does this repetitive movement with his arm that drives me to distraction.

Does anyone think the chest infection has brought on this relapse? Or does the ranitidine ever stop having an effect?
I considered the antibiotics, but the first night of the return to this was before I got the antibiotics.
I am so exhausted. I thought we had turned a corner.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Sun 05-Dec-10 18:31:48

Have you started weaning? Introduced new foods? My DS had a blip at 6 months (was on ranitidine). It was partly new food and partly the fact he'd had a big growth spurt so needed to up the ranitidine dose. It's worth getting him reweighed and the dose redone. Also check his diet - anything acidic, dairy or soya could be culprits.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 05-Dec-10 18:55:59

I started weaning 5 weeks ago. Haven't introduced anything new this week. I make my own stuff and wondered if the fact he has had brown rice in both lunch and dinner for the last few days would make a difference?

I am bf and have been drinking full fat milk again instead of lacto-free as we ran out,so may try switching back.

I had him re-weighed on Fri and the dose of ranitidine has been upped slightly, but only since Friday, so maybe too early to see the effect.
Thanks for the reply

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Sun 05-Dec-10 19:12:26

Yes I think you're supposed to avoid brown rice, wholemeal bread etc as it's too much fibre and difficult to digest for babies. Might be better to stick to white. It could be giving him wind which in our case I think caused discomfort.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Sun 05-Dec-10 19:15:13

Yes I think you're supposed to avoid brown rice, wholemeal bread etc as it's too much fibre and difficult to digest for babies. Might be better to stick to white. It could be giving him wind which in our case I think caused discomfort.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 05-Dec-10 19:18:36

Will try adjusting his diet. Just hoping for a better night tonight as I am supposed to be going into work for an hour or so with both kids in tow to discuss my return! Can't imagine being awake enough to do it if I have another hellish night like the last 3

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Sun 05-Dec-10 19:25:51

Good luck I hope things get better soon. When my DS had reflux episodes, I cut down on solids dramatically as he didn't really need them at 6 months.
If it's trapped wind, a teaspoon or two of fennel or peppermint tea can help. Before bathtime is usually best. I do that now sometimes as DS (14 months) still gets wind. He's also sensitive to cows milk in my diet so I have to be careful how much dairy I have (only tiny amounts).

It's worth checking his gums as well in case he's teething although a long shot!

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 05-Dec-10 19:43:53

Cheers. Hoping it is the brown rice now as that is easily remedied. He hasn't had any today, so fingers crossed!

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Sun 05-Dec-10 19:48:05

Oh one thing I forgot - DS slept much better once he started sleeping on his front with his legs curled up under him to take the pressure off his tummy. That was around 6 months.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 05-Dec-10 20:58:13

Thanks. I started putting him down on his tummy a few weeks ago and think he does tuck his legs up. If he ever rolls onto his back he always gets really upset.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Mon 06-Dec-10 11:02:32

He'll get the hang of it I'm sure.

I hope sleep improves for you. It's so hard to function properly when sleep deprived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now