Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How to tell if baby has a squint?

(11 Posts)
IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 05-Dec-10 12:36:49

I have been looking at pictures taken of DS2 over the past week or so and it looks like he has a squint in a few of them.
I have never noticed it in real life but my mum did comment on it in the pictures.

I will probably get him checked but just wondered if anyone else had any experience and how you noticed it.

DD does wear glasses not for a swuint but had a lazy eye.

enimod Sun 05-Dec-10 12:40:27

depends how young baby is-often they look like they have a squint due to an un developed nose bridge (so doc says)-however-i thought my son had a squint when under 6 months old-they told me the nose bridge thing but he still saw the childrn's eye doctor- he was fine-however at his review appointment at 2.5 they found he had a squint!! not an obvious one-but still a squint-he wears glasses now.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 05-Dec-10 12:43:45

He is nearly 6 months old.
I have been trying to read this morning and everything seems to say that over 3 months worth getting checked out.
Something I just read said that a squint in babies could be connected to an astygmatism which with my family history is likely anyway and he would be checked young so think I will get him looked at.

mclazy Wed 08-Dec-10 22:02:37

a lot of young children look like they have a squint because of the flat bridge of their nose and something called epicanthic folds (google some pics) which will lessen with age.

But if you have any worries get your gp to refer to an orthoptist who will be able to make sure.

Astigmatism is a rugby ball shaped cornea and although you can get this and a squint they are not automatically connected

Deemented Wed 08-Dec-10 22:08:17

My opthamologist reckons the best way to tell if a baby or young child has a squint is to see if the light reflecting back off the childs pupils is both in the same place, iyswim?

wonka Wed 08-Dec-10 22:10:33

DS1 had his squint corrected with glasses, optician at the hospital said that when a light shines on their eye does the dot shine on the same place?

wonka Wed 08-Dec-10 22:11:56

in each eye that is

Deemented Wed 08-Dec-10 22:16:46

Yeah, that's what i was trying to say, Wonka - you said it much better grin

stickersarecurrency Wed 08-Dec-10 22:20:21

Get it checked. Very important because treatment is so effective if started early, and much less so if started late.

DS was under the orthoptist from about 6 months until discharge recently (3.5). I was concerned about a squint from a young age and have family history of eye problems. They found nothing wrong but monitored him closely to be sure.

MaybeTomorrow Thu 09-Dec-10 09:24:21

Our DD is having an eye operation tomorrow to lift her eyelid (it's been half closed since birth sad) and they thought that it might be causing a squint. She's 18 months old but was about 15 months when they noticed it. Having investigated since and even though they're still going ahead with the op, it looks like the squint has lessened and they say will disappear completely once the lid is lifted.

So definitely get it checked out as it can be something very easily rectified.

ASTEROID15ncl Tue 23-Jun-15 16:13:56

Have any experience with amblyopia (lazy eye) or strabismus (squint)? Then you might be interested in the ASTEROID project of Newcastle University. The Asteroid research team is currently developing a new method of detection and treatment.
Asteroid is a 3D vision test on a glasses-free 3D tablet into the form of an interactive game. This makes your child's eye test fun whilst giving clinicians accurate data on your child's vision.
More information about this test is available at this link
research.ncl.ac.uk/asteroid/
or look for Asteroid- Newcastle University on Facebook and twitter.
We would greatly appreciate any feedback on this method and if you are available/ near the Newcastle- Gateshead area, there is an upcoming event on the 27th June at the Great North Children's hospital when you can try Asteroid for yourself, see www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/services/21087.aspx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now