Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tonsilitis question

(6 Posts)
iloveblue Sun 05-Dec-10 08:56:45

Hello

My 4 yr old DS started feeling ill 8 days ago. I took him to the GP last Monday who said it looked like tonsilitis and prescribed Amoxycillin.

He is a lot better - no longer feverish, but he still has a sore throat and very smelly breath.

He has been taking the Amoxycillin 3 times a day without fail.

Does it normally take this long for tonsilitis to clear up - or should I take him back to doctor?

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 05-Dec-10 09:42:19

I'd take him back. DD is really prone to tonislitis and she generally gets a different antibiotic. Struggling to remember the name, I think it is cephalexin. It comes in a bottle with three once a day doses in it. We are overseas so not sure if it makes a difference.
I think I'd be tempted to ask the GP to do a swab for MC+S

iloveblue Sun 05-Dec-10 09:54:39

Whats MC+S?

LadyBiscuit Sun 05-Dec-10 09:55:46

I'd take him back - mine usually gets better within a few days with ABs. Poor thing - tonsillitis is horrid

bubbleymummy Sun 05-Dec-10 11:13:29

Just a suggestion to help with the sore throat- try manuka honey 10 or 15+. We use it for all coughs and sore throats on this house. It is also antibacterial so it may help clear up any lingering tonsillitis bugs!

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 05-Dec-10 15:40:18

Sorry, culture and sensitivity. Essentially a test to see which antibiotic the infection will respond to.
hope he is feeling a little better by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now