Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sore bum in four week old

(8 Posts)
ILoveGregoryHouse Sat 04-Dec-10 06:30:39

My new dd is a constant pooer. We change her nappy at least every two hours and we use water with some almond oil and lavender as wipes. We also use sudocrem and metanium alternately. But her bum is still red raw sad. Any suggestions?

She also screams when she is about to poo. Is this normal? My sons never had poo problems so i am flummoxed here.

BarbaraWindsor Sat 04-Dec-10 07:03:32

For a start I would ditch anything perfumed immediately, also ditch the chemical creams.

Dab with water with a little salt added. then dab dry with cotton wool, very gently.

then put on some egg white. I kid you not, it was the first thing to help when ds2 had really bad nappy rash when he was a week old - it had lasted 10 days and was bleeding, metanium, nothing worked - then I started on egg white and because it forms a false skin over the wound, it allows the new skin to granulate underneath.

Let the egg white dry in the air then put payy on again - well, nappy off for as long as poss is ideal, if you can manage it. Easiest when they are not mobile yet! Just lie her on a few old towels.

See how you get on. Good luck smile

BarbaraWindsor Sat 04-Dec-10 07:05:30

payy? = nappy! sorry

I meant to say, no oils, no creams, nothing at all at least until she is healed.

then start using something like zinc or vaseline as a barrier at every change, to stop it happening again.

BarbaraWindsor Sat 04-Dec-10 07:06:16

also what nappies doyou use - some children are sensitive to some nappies, or washing powder, if they are cloth ones.

BearCrimble Sat 04-Dec-10 07:12:41

I found that pampers made DS have terrible nappy rash and he was a constant pooer until about 4 months old.

Changing to huggies got rid of it completely - Bepanthen helped too.

ILoveGregoryHouse Sat 04-Dec-10 07:49:10

Thanks. Will try egg white.

She has reusable nappies but is too small right now so is in size one pampers - I prefer huggies but very difficult to get them here (Bahrain).

HappyAsASandboy Sat 04-Dec-10 08:26:32

I second the vaseline recommendation. We've hardly had any pinkness since I started using vaseline at every change and a rash treatment only when pinkness appears smile

Flowerbomb Sat 04-Dec-10 09:30:45

My HV recommended Kamillosan, the yellow tube that you use for nipple rash when breast feeding, it is a barrier cream (from tesco/boots etc). Worked every time, my dd was absolutely red raw with nappy rash, it was horrendous and she cried a lot as the urine was stinging. By the next morning was 50% cleared up and the day after gone. Used it every time since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now