Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (2.3y) has only drunk 200ml of orange and not eaten since waking up. Advice please!

(21 Posts)
bintofbohemia Fri 03-Dec-10 17:54:51

The eating is not so bad (even though he has not eaten a bite of anything whatsoever, even his favourite things) but the not drinking is worrying me.

I can't get him to drink anything else. I usually put him to bed with a cup of water, and if he doesn't drink some of that will I have to get him to an out of hours doctor/walk in clinic in the morning? Or should I be doing something sooner than that?

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 17:56:38

Does he have a really sore throat?

Can you get him to open up his mouth, say AHHHH and shine a torch into see if he is either really red or white?

Can you offer him an ice lolly?
ANy temperature?

bintofbohemia Fri 03-Dec-10 18:00:10

I'll see if I can see in his throat but he's not being too co-operative today unfortunately. I tried taking his temperature but he was wriggling like an eel. It said 35 degrees but I'm assuming that's just a dodgy reading?

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 18:00:43

quite possible. Do you have an ear thermometer?

bintofbohemia Fri 03-Dec-10 18:05:02

Somewhere, but that's always been even more rubbish than the one I've just used (it's one of those strips that you stick on their foreheads.) He's not opening his mouth for love nor money.

I've never seen a low temperature before, are they dangerous? Shall I give him calpol?

Colourworld Fri 03-Dec-10 18:05:52

Is eating ice lollies good with a sore throat? I thought that if you are having cold or flu then a warm drink is best. I know when my kids did not feel like eating normal cooked food when having flu they would ask for Oatibix, crackers, cooked rice, pasta shapes with butter, Capri Sun juice and chocolate mousse. Drinking from a straw helped. Try to offer mint or camomile tea with sugar or without. "Hot" chocolate.

bintofbohemia Fri 03-Dec-10 18:07:26

He's tunred up his nose at porrdge, crumpets and even cake. It's definitely not right.

ChippingIn Fri 03-Dec-10 18:11:17

I'd offer him ice lolly, ice cream, hot chocolate or fizzy apple juice - sometimes the novelty of that will win. However, if he doesn't want it then leave it, it's only been one day, he'll be fine.

Do make sure you check his temp properly - even if you have to get someone else to hold him down or wait till he's asleep.

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 18:11:38

If the throat is really sore, an icelolly will soothe. Also, it is a great way of getting liquid in a child who has not had a lot to drink.

Colourworld Fri 03-Dec-10 18:18:01

Strange about lollies, I have never heard of eatin glollies with a sore or very sore throat. No really. All my life I thought that cold or icy food is not good for the sore throat. Is it a natural remedy or something GPs recommend?

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 18:38:22

My gp recommended it for my oldest son, he kept having recurring tonsillitis, and would go off food and drink. He had a tonsillectomy when he was 5, so we dont have this problem any more.

silverfrog Fri 03-Dec-10 18:47:01

would he eat jelly?

or custard?

second the ice cream/yogurt/fizzy drink suggestions.

we used to try to make a game of it with dd1 (serial liquids refuser - once stopped drinking completely for 9 months shock. she has ASD, so takes things ot extremes grin), and used a 5ml syringe for mini "water fights", trying to squirt water into each others' mouths, which sometimes went down well.

organix fruit pots (or similar) were always a hit with ehr too

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 18:48:43

Silverfrog, that sounds a bit like the game of "blow out the candle with your nose" game me and ds1 used to have. grin We were working really hard trying to get him to BLOW his nose, rather than breathe it all IN.

Pancakeflipper Fri 03-Dec-10 18:51:05

The GP recommended ice-lollies for my brother who used to get sore throats all the time and I do the same with my kids. Throbbing tonsils, cool lollies = bit of temporary much wanted pain relief.

silverfrog Fri 03-Dec-10 18:54:55

QS grin

I am currently trying (in vain) to teach the dds blow football using straws/nose to demonstrate nose blowing...

so when can I expect dd2 (nearly 4) to "get" nose blowing? please tell me it is soon?

QuintessentialShadows Fri 03-Dec-10 18:56:04

Umm, 6, 7

silverfrog Fri 03-Dec-10 18:58:29

god, really?!

ho hum.

back to the drawing board then... another 3 years of them both sniffing and snorting away will drives me nuts!

Caz10 Sat 04-Dec-10 17:30:31

Can I bump this and see if the OP is around? Did you get your DS to eat anything?

My DD almost 3 was sick last night, no more tummy troubles today but is totally refusing to eat or drink anything. I don't mind the eating but really want her to drink, esp before bedtime sad

She had an ice lolly earlier, but can't think that having another now will be very good for a poorly tum!

bintofbohemia Sat 04-Dec-10 20:09:59

Hello,

Well, I got him to take paracetamol and minadex off a spoon before bedtime so I made him a honey and lemon with apple juice and fed him that off a spoon too. He didn't eat anything but he's made up for it today. Despite being a bit odd and waiting for eveyone to go away and not look at him before eating it that it. hmm

Thanks for the advice, think he's back to being his normal, contrary little self.

Caz - hope your DD is alright, maybe try the spoon trick?

Caz10 Sat 04-Dec-10 21:09:32

Thank you! She finally perked up a little and had some milk before bedtime so I feel a bit better. Just thinking I might head to bed early as there will probably be a 5am wake-up call for brekkie like the last time she went to bed hungry!!
Glad your DS is on the mend!

bintofbohemia Sat 04-Dec-10 21:42:58

Thank you! Like you say, it's not so bad if they dont eat but the drinking thing gets scary! Tis the season for non-stop bugs and ailments I suppose. Hope she's back on form tomorrow (but not at 5am!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: